Home Open Account Help 335 users online

Model Railroading > Great Lakes Eastern finally being reborn...

Date: 12/02/09 17:32
Great Lakes Eastern finally being reborn...
Author: KevinB

OK folks - I have been getting squared away on my layout concept and have back in my possession, the Great Lakes Eastern Railroad equipment that was sacredly guarded by Mr. Mark Howard through my divorce. It is time to relaunch the Great Lakes Eastern Railroad website - http://greatlakeseastern.com and the new layout concept.

The new modeled portion is going to be on the former New England Central, nee-Central Vermont/B&M territory between Brattleboro and Montpelier Jct., VT. This is a scenic and prosperous portion of the railroad and offers plenty of interchange partners, namely the Vermont Rail System at a few places, the Claremont & Concord (complete with Alcos!) and will have trackage rights service from the Pan Am Railways and also Vermont Railway's new stone trains from Montpelier to Palmer, MA. This promises to be a great new concept and layout with a huge basement to accommodate it!

Stay tuned as the GLE is reborn over the next month!

Kevin Burkholder, CEO and President
Great Lakes Eastern Railroad Co. (in HO Scale)
http://www.greatlakeseastern.com

Date: 12/02/09 18:16
Re: Great Lakes Eastern finally being reborn...
Author: HB90MACH

Nice to hear it coming back. Since the PAN AM is doing a corridor project with NS, are going to have NS run through trains?

Shane

GLE unit 3062 is still in GLE paint on the HB's roster. No slap over yet either. Havent gotten to it.

Date: 12/02/09 19:19
Author: JoppaSub

Glad to hear the GLE is coming back as well...Maybe the MP can send cars up your way via interchange?

Thomas Austin
Centralia, IL
Joppa Sub Layout Site

Date: 12/02/09 19:38
Author: toledopatch

I'm a little farther away from building anything, but if you want to establish a theoretical interchange at Springfield or Albany, Kevin, let's talk about it....

Date: 12/02/09 21:19

I forgot to add the maps to the previous post - so, here they are, showing the New England Division and the modeled portion of the River Subdivision...

Kevin B.

Date: 12/02/09 21:33
Author: wildcat12

what time period is this? Hopefully lots of new england Alcos will be running

Date: 12/02/09 22:13

Warren - going to be set in modern day...I have tossed the whole Alco thing around - ALOT actually, but for now I am sticking to what I have for equipment and that is newer, modern power...

Kevin B.

Date: 12/03/09 05:45
Author: brfriedm

Well this will be the 2nd rebirth. I followed and enjoyed the original GLE when you were in PA. Well done and enjoyable but I must be frank that it turned more into marketing then building an actual model railroad. Selling decals, special run cars, coffee mugs and tee shirts. Corporate announcements and acquisitions.... Then you went to Maine and did a rebirth there. That obviously did not go anywhere's due to the divorce. Now your back with another rebirth. Good luck but please show us the actual building of a model railroad and not all the marketing hype with tweets and facebook updates. I guess I am old school. Actions speak louder then words. That is why I am a big Utah Belt fan. By the way, be careful about advertising the hiding of your model railroad gear through a divorce. I know someone who did that exact thing. After the divorce was finalized, he came on the internet and stated he had hidden his model railroad stuff and gotten away with it. Someone sent that post to his ex wife. He got a fed ex a few days later from her divorce lawyer. He had to have the collection independently appraised and then send her a check for 50% of the value. It took a year to get that done and it went into storage all that time with the lawyers holding the keys.

Bruce

Date: 12/03/09 06:51

Thanks for the comments Bruce. You are correct in your statements that there was a lot of hype and not a lot of construction previously. Not going to make excuses as to why things happened as they did. My intent is to produce a functional layout and I have the aid of several talented modelers who live close by to my locale - the White River Jct, VT area, for whom I plan on utilizing to make this a reality. I am going to be working on some GLE equipment as time permits at work too. The first GLE had made serious headway before I moved to Maine, so hopefully this will progress as well.

Always appreciate your insight Bruce and will lol forward to future comments as the layout progresses...

Kevin B.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0385 seconds