Home Open Account Help 331 users online

Model Railroading > Open Auto Racks?

Date: 12/28/09 09:37
Open Auto Racks?
Author: billmeeker

Anyone know where I can get my hands on an old open style auto rack? Even the current closed auto racks are not common - I saw some Walthers versions, but Athearn doesn't make them, and I can't find any on Horizon Hobby.com. Thanks,

Bill

Date: 12/28/09 09:47
Re: Open Auto Racks?
Author: toledopatch

Accurail made kits for open racks (without side screens) that are still available, and I believe there also were some kits offered once of the later "topless" racks -- but I don't remember by whom.

Date: 12/28/09 09:48
Author: coaltrain45

Hi Bill,

check out Accurail, they do a Bi-level and a Tri-level open HO Auto Rack.

www.toytrainheaven.com

Wayne.........coaltrain45

Date: 12/28/09 09:49
Author: drgwguy

I know that Accurail makes them, and at least in my neck of the woods(central PA) they are in stock at English's in Montoursville, PA. English's is also the "Home of Bowser", so I think an internet search for Bowser will get you to their (English's) website.

Hope this helps.

Happy Holidays,

Rick

Date: 12/28/09 10:21

Thanks to all who have replied. I will check Accurail.

Date: 12/28/09 12:22
Author: brfriedm

Accurail also recently announced the open racks with side panels which is pretty cool.

Bruce

Date: 12/28/09 12:28
Author: toledopatch

brfriedm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Accurail also recently announced the open racks
> with side panels which is pretty cool.
>
> Bruce

Very cool. I believe the last heavy use of those cars was on deliveries to the Ford distribution center at Ayer, Mass., because fully-enclosed racks wouldn't fit through the Hoosac Tunnel. That traffic was rerouted via Worcester in 1988 if I'm not mistaken.

After that, the only domestic USA service I saw for open-rack/side-panel cars was in small groups hauling postal vehicles out of the Muncy, Pa., area. After moving to Toledo in 1993, I also saw some Canadian open-top racks coming into Ohio on CN, but those were the cars with the mesh screens on the sides instead of metal sheet.

Date: 12/28/09 12:44

Too bad they don't come with vehicles. Now THAT would be very cool!

Date: 12/28/09 22:19
Author: TheCurator

The Accurail kits are nicely-detailed and look good but the instructions are a little vague.

Date: 12/29/09 09:53
Author: winchester

billmeeker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Too bad they don't come with vehicles. Now THAT
> would be very cool!

I picked up a tri-level open auto rack by life-like in Santa Fe colors that came with 18 cars a while back.(6 cadillacs, 6 buicks and 6 station wagons)

Date: 12/29/09 21:39
Author: Clarence

I've got two of the tri-decks and they assemble easily enough, but the instructions are a bit vague. The decks are wobbly until you get enough of the support columns in place. The cars track like a dream if you use the Adair weights instead of the supplied steel plate. The Adair weights are lead sheet pre-cut to fit every nook and cranny of the car. (the steel plates may work too for all I know).
Clarence

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0528 seconds