Home Open Account Help 270 users online

Model Railroading > SP Sunset Ltd streamilined RPO with Three-axle trucks

Date: 01/20/10 09:15
SP Sunset Ltd streamilined RPO with Three-axle trucks
Author: E25

I recently ran across some photos of the wreck of the SP "Sunset Limited" at Rosenburg, TX in the early 1950's. One photo depicted what appears to be a Budd-built streamilined RPO with THREE-axle trucks...

http://web.me.com/greg1950/Greg_Johnson/Southern_Pacific_%26_T%26NO.html#19

'Anyone know more about this car and its disposition... or have any photos? Are any models available?

Thanks.

-- Greg

Date: 01/20/10 11:01
Re: SP Sunset Ltd streamilined RPO with Three-axle truc
Author: Red_over_Yellow

Exactly as described, Budd RPO delivered with the Budd Sunset Limited trainsets in the 1951 time frame. Coach Yard made an excellent model of that car in the early 90's. They appear on Ebay from time to time. More info available in the excellent SP Historical and Technical Society book on head end cars. http://www.sphtsstore.org/servlet/the-79/Southern-Pacific-Head-dsh-end-Baggage/Detail

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/10 11:04 by Red_over_Yellow.

Date: 01/20/10 12:13
Author: ATSF3751

Red_over_Yellow Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Exactly as described, Budd RPO delivered with the
> Budd Sunset Limited trainsets in the 1951 time
> frame. Coach Yard made an excellent model of that
> car in the early 90's. They appear on Ebay from
> time to time. More info available in the excellent
> SP Historical and Technical Society book on head
> end cars.
> http://www.sphtsstore.org/servlet/the-79/Southern-
> Pacific-Head-dsh-end-Baggage/Detail

Sunset deliveries were completed by August of 1950. August 20th saw the inaugural runs from NOL and LAX.

The 3 axle OSH trucks that was more state-of-the-art was unavailable at that time, although SP could have selected the 2 axle OSH trucks for the other Sunset cars. They instead went with the inside swing hanger style found on contemporary (1950) deliveries of these Budd and PS cars as well. The last passenger cars delivered in 1954, Budd chair cars for the Sunset and Golden State, as well as PS Shasta cars, were delivered with the OSH trucks. SP also bought them to put under their homebuilt dome cars.

Great info on the Sunset in the SPH&TS book as was previously mentioned.

Date: 01/20/10 19:40
Author: E25

Thanks for your helpful replies. I just have this "thing" for 3-axle / tri-mount trucks on streamlined passenger equipment... especially the inside-swing-hanger examples.

I'll check out some of your references to see if any of these cars were painted in Daylight colors.

Best regards,

-- Greg

Date: 01/21/10 14:42
Author: Notch16

I don't believe any of the RPO's were ever painted in "Daylight" colors. The cars went to scrap in 1969, many of them at Associated Metals in Benicia, California. All were wearing the standard SP passenger dress of the day: natural stainless sides, Scarlet letterboards, and Lark Dark Gray trucks.

The original "Sunset" scheme inspired the 1958 system-wide economy standard. The 1950 "Sunset" was the first SP train to feature the red 'tomato stripe' on the letterboards, although as-built from Budd that stripe was finelined in black and trucks were silver. This was adopted for "Golden State" equipment as well. It made a reappearance on SP business cars during the Anschutz-Rio Grande era.

The only SP Budd "Sunset" equipment to receive "Daylight" paint to my knowledge are the two cars currently in the California State Railroad Museum collection, a French Quarter lounge and Audubon diner. The last time I saw them, they needed a good waxing. And I never quite have warmed to those colors on those cars. Seems out of place.

~ Bob Z.

Date: 01/21/10 15:24
Author: WAF

Bob's right. All Budd Sunset equipment stayed red stripe and silver sides to the start of Amtrak and beyond.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0585 seconds