Home Open Account Help 224 users online

Model Railroading > N Scale Decoder Confusion

Date: 01/28/10 17:08
N Scale Decoder Confusion
Author: dheider123

I have two new N Scale SD70ACe's that I want to install decoders for DCC operation.

Here is the confusion as to which one to use. I have three different opinions from two different dealers and one from the manufacturer.

One said to use Digitrax DN163K1C
One said to use Digitrax DN163K1B
And the other said to use DN163K1D

Which one is correct based on your experience?

TCS makes one as K1D4-NC. Don't know if they are available as of this writing.

Date: 01/28/10 18:34
Re: N Scale Decoder Confusion
Author: BNSF-E9

DN163K1C. I have them in six units.....work just fine.

Date: 01/28/10 18:38
Author: BNSF-E9

I should add....follow instructions about the trim points during the install process. Else the shell won't fit in place.

Date: 01/28/10 18:42
Author: northridgeswitcher

The DN163K1C is the one we use for installations for these locomotives.

In any case you will want to check out this link as Kato has step by step instructions for this locomotive decoder install as it does require some modifications.

http://www.katousa.com/N/SD70ACe/maint/DCC.html

Also you will note that their site lists the same 3 decoders you listed as ok for these locomotives. Modifications are required for all 3. The DN163K1B is an older decoder but still available, the DN163K1D is designed for other Kato locomotives and if you use this one you will need to trim part of the PC Board in order for it to fit.

We a done a lot of the ACe using the 163K1C and have had no issues.

Hope this helps.

Northridge Switcher

Date: 01/28/10 20:43
Author: NEEBAR

I use the DN163K1C in all seven of my ACe's. Another note on modification though, on a couple of decoders the PC board was thinner, I think this is a newer design by digitrax as the older boards were thicker, I had to add a bit of solder to the front tabs to make good electrical contact with the frame.

Date: 01/29/10 15:58
Author: dheider123

I knew I would get the right answer from all that replied. Thank you very much. DN163K1C it is. I will check the Kato web site for the mods to the shell. In addition I will pay attention to the board thickness and add solder if needed. I have run into this before with other locomotives. Happy model railroading to you all.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0443 seconds