Home Open Account Help 230 users online

Model Railroading > Link to another thread on Nostalgia Board

Date: 03/09/10 08:37
Link to another thread on Nostalgia Board
Author: xtra1188w

I tried to copy and paste a direct link to another thread that I just posted on the Nostalgia Board, but I guess that I zigged when I should have zagged or something because it might not be a clickable working link. I still haven't learned tbis function very well I reckon.

UP U30-C (images 156k)
http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?11,2143506

This thread shows a picture of a UP U30C that I photographed back in 1977 and I related what my modeling project was back at the time. So what I wanted to follow up with here on the modeling board is; How many of you remember when Bob Longo started publishing the different prototype modeler magazines? These preceded the later version "Prototype Modeler". We just referred to Prototype Modeler as "PM" back then. As I recall, Bob Longo died in the early 1980's and PM ceased all publication about 1983 or 1984? PM was a good magazine and it improved over time. When it was first published it was a bimonthly publication and there were several versions such as Western Prototype Modeler, Southwestern Prototype Modeler, and I think that there were maybe three or four other versions, but I can't remember their names right off hand right now. I was mainly just interested in SWPM or WPM myself. At first these magazines were just published in black and white on a fairly good grade of paper, but it wasn't an acid free paper, nor was it slick paper. I got rid of my magazine collection when I had to move from Austin to northeast Texas, and I haven't seen one of the old PM's for quite a while now. They had good articles in them though. Who remembers the great article that Dave Schumacher did on the passenger trains of the Great Northern in, ? 1975 1976? was his articles in the Northwestern PM or the Western PM? It was a series though that took several issues of the magazine to handle all of Dave's material on the GN. Dave Schumacher didn't have any peers when it came to passenger train modeling back in those days. Does anyone here still know Dave Schumacher? When I knew him he was a law student at UT in Austin Texas, but he eventually moved to Denver, and I think that the last I heard of him he was ranching in Wyoming. How about you Duane, have you met Dave Schumacher?

Con

Date: 03/09/10 10:28
Re: Link to another thread on Nostalgia Board
Author: mwbridgwater

Yup... I used to get Western and Southwestern Prototype Modeler magazines. They were the best thing going then. Finally threw out the collection during a move about five years ago. I'm not a GN fan but I do remember that series.

Mark

Date: 03/09/10 11:43
Re: Link to another thread on Nostalgia Board
Author: 1stcajon

Alot of the issues can still be had from: http://www.railpub.com/Pages/page5.shtml

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0331 seconds