Home Open Account Help 347 users online

Model Railroading > Odd Digitrax problem

Date: 06/27/10 11:13
Odd Digitrax problem
Author: funnelfan

Had another one of those funky Digitrax problems the other day at the club. Got a Slot=Max error the other day when consisting the last of seven locomotives together. I pulled up the JMRI on the computer and there was only about 23 of the slots being used at the time. I've seen far more of the 120 slots being used in the past, so I was puzzled about what was going on here. This could be a real issue if it continues until our multi-day show in conjunction with the county fair that is coming up at the beginning of August. I was able to add more locomotives to the system only be deleting existing entries. Anyone else encounter the same kind of problem?

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 06/27/10 11:43
Re: Odd Digitrax problem
Author: NEEBAR

We use Digitrax at my club too and have this issue happen also, before you start an opp session or even start consisting units their is an opps switch that must be closed to change the command station from the default 22 slots to 120 slots on the DCS100. We use decoder pro to do this, I dint remember the switch number. Go to configure command station and scroll down to it, also switch 36 I think it is should be closed to clear all the address slots so you can start fresh. This is what I do before I run at the club.

Date: 06/27/10 12:23

Thanks, I see that it is option switch 44 that reverted to default somehow.

http://tsd.digitrax.com/index.php?a=934

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 06/27/10 19:31
Author: BlackWidow

The slot=max message has happened to me as well, and I was nowhere near the 128 locomotive max. Not sure why it happened, and I reset the command station as described in the manual and it fixed it.

Date: 06/28/10 04:05
Author: rschonfelder

It must be the full moon. We had the exact same thing happen at our running session yesterday here in Australia.

... wierd. We weren't as innovative as you guys though. We just shut the whole thing down, let everyone think the running session was over and a few of the people we wanted to go home, did. It was all good after that.

Rick

Date: 06/28/10 07:47
Author: brfriedm

The slot max issue can be avoided with some education. People just need to learn that after they are done with running an engine or consist, then drop the engine or consist. Digitrax calls it "dispatching the engine or consist". It takes about 5 seconds. Push loco button and then dispatch button. I have a layout that is larger then many club layouts and have not reached the "slot max" issue for 10 years. I teach every newbie that operates my layout that after they are done, dispatch the engine or consist. If you break up a consist, then you need to dispatch those engines also. A little education goes a long way and until Digitrax clubs do that, then slot max will always be an issue and resetting the booster a regular thing.

Bruce

Date: 06/28/10 08:02
Author: JoppaSub

Bruce explained it perfectly. No issues here...and I've been a Digitrax user since 2002.

Thomas Austin
Centralia, IL
Joppa Sub Layout Site

Date: 06/28/10 12:00
Author: CSX1346

Ditto, after I started dispatching engines, I've never had a slot max message again.

csx1346

Date: 06/28/10 12:16

Well the problem was that the number of available slots dropped from 120 to 22 unexpectedly, and 22 is close to the number of consisted engines on the layout. And myself and a friend were trying to add more locomotives. So I ended up having to destroy consists to add the other locomotives, and that will be another problem that will need that will have to be taken care of later. Sounds like a number of us have had the same problem with the Digitrax units dropping slots for no reason.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 06/28/10 12:18
Author: brfriedm

Boosters do not drop slots for no reason. Uneducated people do....

Sorry, but them are the facts.

Bruce

funnelfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well the problem was that the number of available
> slots dropped from 120 to 22 unexpectedly, and 22
> is close to the number of consisted engines on the
> layout. And myself and a friend were trying to add
> more locomotives. So I ended up having to destroy
> consists to add the other locomotives, and that
> will be another problem that will need that will
> have to be taken care of later. Sounds like a
> number of us have had the same problem with the
> Digitrax units dropping slots for no reason.

Date: 06/28/10 15:36
Author: JoppaSub

funnelfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well the problem was that the number of available
> slots dropped from 120 to 22 unexpectedly, and 22
> is close to the number of consisted engines on the
> layout. And myself and a friend were trying to add
> more locomotives. So I ended up having to destroy
> consists to add the other locomotives, and that
> will be another problem that will need that will
> have to be taken care of later. Sounds like a
> number of us have had the same problem with the
> Digitrax units dropping slots for no reason.

Sounds like your booster reverted back to the standard 22 slots...As stated above...option switch 44 is the one you need to change. Just remember to dispatch your consists after they are not being used as well...and you should be good-to-go.

Thomas Austin
Centralia, IL
Joppa Sub Layout Site

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0504 seconds