Home Open Account Help 323 users online

Model Railroading > QSI Modern Diesel Sounds

Date: 07/08/10 08:52
QSI Modern Diesel Sounds
Author: markm62

I've been dealing with QSI customer service recently (which is pretty good by the way- it's Tony's) as I've received a couple of defective Revolution-A decoders.

I was just informed by them that a sound file that I had previously purchased was 'no longer available.' Actually I was told 'it had not been released yet' which didn't make sense as I had bought two of them last year. It was 1050-383 (SD90). At least I THINK that is what I bought.

Checking their website, it appears that they do not offer any other modern EMD sound files anymore (EMD 710). Am I missing something, or have they 'pulled' these sound files? I wonder if Tsunami has anything to do with this? Or low sales overall?

Date: 07/08/10 11:55
Re: QSI Modern Diesel Sounds
Author: brfriedm

Mark,

Not to be a wise ass but the modern GE/EMD QSI sounds are nothing like the real thing. I would move on. QSI just does not get it. You can not just paste together sounds from 20 different engines and then use a church organ to make the rest. I will not buy any more QSI for this very reason and sold off all my others. QSI makes a great hardware platform but without realistic sounds, it's worthless.

Bruce

Date: 07/08/10 12:12
Author: tunnelmotor40

I agree. The QSI's only good feature is the horn, but the prime mover for the 645 engine really sucks. I'm about to remove them from my Atlas GP40-2's and install Tsunami.

Jim

Date: 07/08/10 13:41
Author: navarch1

brfriedm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mark,
>
> Not to be a wise ass but the modern GE/EMD QSI
> sounds are nothing like the real thing. I would
> move on. QSI just does not get it. You can not
> just paste together sounds from 20 different
> engines and then use a church organ to make the
> rest. I will not buy any more QSI for this very
> reason and sold off all my others. QSI makes a
> great hardware platform but without realistic
> sounds, it's worthless.
>
> Bruce

I agree 100% with Bruce....I don't think a single QSI sound decoder accurately represents the sound it is supposed to be. Go with Soundtraxx.

Bob

Date: 07/08/10 14:23
Author: markm62

I agree for the most part and I am currently using Tsunami solely for my installations. The trouble is, I already own a few Revolutions and when they break I return them for service.

Of note: I did once have a former UP Engineer (at a public show) tell me my SD90MAC with a QSI dsd 'sounded like the real thing.' So there is at least one positive impression out there.

Hey I'm not hear to defend them in fact I prefer Soundtraxx and Loksound. Like Bruce, I love Tsunamis. The Alco 251 I just installed in an RS-32 sounds amazing as it rumbles around the layout. Honestly I sometimes put it on my test oval in my garage while I'm working and just let it run. Very cool stuff.

I am surprised QSI is withdrawing sound files and no longer supporting them. I posted to let other modelers know that some decoder sound files are apparently no longer supported by QSI.

Take care

Date: 07/09/10 02:54
Author: KV1guy

markm62 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I agree for the most part and I am currently using
> Tsunami solely for my installations. The trouble
> is, I already own a few Revolutions and when they
> break I return them for service.
>
> Of note: I did once have a former UP Engineer (at
> a public show) tell me my SD90MAC with a QSI dsd
> 'sounded like the real thing.' So there is at
> least one positive impression out there.
>
> Hey I'm not hear to defend them in fact I prefer
> Soundtraxx and Loksound. Like Bruce, I love
> Tsunamis. The Alco 251 I just installed in an
> RS-32 sounds amazing as it rumbles around the
> layout. Honestly I sometimes put it on my test
> oval in my garage while I'm working and just let
> it run. Very cool stuff.
>
> I am surprised QSI is withdrawing sound files and
> no longer supporting them. I posted to let other
> modelers know that some decoder sound files are
> apparently no longer supported by QSI.
>
> Take care

Must have been a former UP employee due to excessive hearing loss. lol

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0584 seconds