Home Open Account Help 312 users online

Model Railroading > Experience matching MTH HO SD70ACEs/other DCC locos ?

Date: 07/15/10 18:00
Experience matching MTH HO SD70ACEs/other DCC locos ?
Author: wfre

Is it a pretty straightforward process to speed-match an MTH SD70ACe(w.Proto3 Sound) with "regular" DCC-equipped locos (other than the Universal Consisting issue)? I'm talking in a DCC enviro - not DC.

Walt in Sausalito

Date: 07/15/10 18:50
Re: Experience matching MTH HO SD70ACEs/other DCC locos
Author: navarch1

It is not as easy as it should be....yet.

MTH is near to releasing a software modification that will allow DCS-equipped SD70ACe's to be reprogrammed to embrace many DCC features...including speed matching. I'm told the release is a few weeks away. They are also releasing new fully-DCC-compatible ACe's, with a decoder plug.

Bob

Date: 07/15/10 19:04
Author: Hamltnblue

The best way to match a non MTH loco to an MTH is thru a custom speed table. Believe it or not Atlas is the easiest since you can set it to scale MPH in the 128 speed step mode which would match MTH theoretically.
I matched an SD60I equipped with a tsunami with an MTH SD70Ace by making a speed table. The MTH had a faster top speed so I was only able to match to about 80% of max. My final solution was to install Tsunami's in my 2 MTH Ace's. Using the old style consist the MTH's are very good runners and sound good as well, except for the random voice chatter that comes from them. They are even better with tsunami's installed.
And don't hold your breath for the "free firmware upgrade" they've been promising for what 8 months now? The people that were expecting it in January are feeling pretty let down about now. Even if they ever do offer an upgrade, you'll need a DCS system to upgrade it or send it back.

Date: 07/15/10 19:07
Author: wfre

Tx Bob - I do know about the future board upgrade and the releases with the DCC plug. But I like the Sound units so its those that I'd like to match. Just don't like the idea that the upgrade can only be done on a DCS system.

Walt in Sausalito

Date: 07/15/10 19:28
Author: Hamltnblue

As far as I'm concerned there is no upgrade coming until they actually have it in hand. And even then, the "rumor" has only been about the SD70.
Mine cost an extra hundred bucks a half year ago when I changed my 2 sd70's to tsunami. They are both fully DCC compatible an have no worries about a phantom upgrade.

Date: 07/16/10 16:15
Author: navarch1

I've been expecting it, know for an absolute fact it is coming, and do not feel the slightest bit "down". I did buy a DCS system out of curiousity to see how it works, so I'll use that to install the upgrade.

Bob

Hamltnblue Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> And don't hold your breath for the "free firmware
> upgrade" they've been promising for what 8 months
> now? The people that were expecting it in January
> are feeling pretty let down about now. Even if
> they ever do offer an upgrade, you'll need a DCS
> system to upgrade it or send it back.

Date: 07/16/10 16:34
Author: JoppaSub

Or, you can buy the Athearn SD70ACE and speed match it with ANYTHING you want.

Thomas Austin
Centralia, IL
Joppa Sub Layout Site

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0523 seconds