Home Open Account Help 318 users online

Model Railroading >

Date: 08/06/10 20:13

Author: CNW

Our Wisconsin climate was too hot and humid last week, so I camped out inside and finished a couple of freight car projects.

I’m modeling the C&NW’s Alco Line in the 1970s, and old cast-off 40-foot boxcars were still used in grain service along the line. To accurately model the region, I’m building a fleet of the 40-foot cars using Kadee, Intermountain, Red Caboose and other cars as base models to match specific prototypes. Airbrushed acrylics and oil paints were used for the weathering. This is my second batch of 40-footers. Follow this link to see the first group: http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?3,2006107,2006107#msg-2006107

1. This car started out as an Intermountain kit. I added some “three dimensional” weathering by carving a gouge into the lower left side and added a welded-on plate just to the left of the door. The prototype cars would rust out and leak grain, so plates were sometimes welded over the holes. A Kadee brake wheel, DA cut levers and Hi-Tech air hoses were added.

2. A Kadee PS-1 undecorated kit (yes, Kadee does make kits) was the base model for this one. I figured I would disassemble an RTR car to strip the paint anyway, so why not just buy kits. I added styrene strips to fill in the bottom sill to match the prototype, otherwise its stock. To achieve the faded out billboard letters, I applied the decals, let them dry and then carefully scraped on them with a fresh Xacto #16 blade.

Dennis

Date: 08/06/10 20:56

Author: Westbound

Your modeling work is pure art!

Date: 08/06/10 22:34

Author: alligatorfan

Very nice weathering. Realistic without being overstated. One of the tricks I've found for getting that faded look is fine steel wool. You can form it into any shape and work it into tight spaces along with having more control over where and how much fading you want.

Date: 08/07/10 14:02

Author: TT

Wow! The faded lettering on the Kadee car is great!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0333 seconds