Home Open Account Help 390 users online

Model Railroading > ExactRail announces 64' TRINCool Phase II Reefer!

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 08/06/10 15:31
ExactRail announces 64' TRINCool Phase II Reefer!
Author: choochooboy

ExactRail has announced the Trinity 64' TRINCool Phase II refrigerated box car in HO and N scale!

An epoch of the modern era, few cars portend contemporary railroading more than the 64' TRINCool refrigerated box car! Perishable traffic is a hot commodity, and perishable items often travel transcontinentally in sleek unit trains. With 1,500 cars on the Union Pacific alone, the 64' TRINCool refrigerated box car will carry today's goods well into the future.

Innovation doesn't end with the prototype, ExactRail is pleased to announce the Trinity 64' Modern Reefer! Complete with factory installed Kadee #58 couplers, ExactRail's Platinum Series TRINCool 64' Reefer will feature the finest precision micro-tooling in the industry. Additionally, ExactRail's TRINCool 64' reefer will also have coupler cut levers, separately applied brake hoses, accurate underframe details, ExactRail's exclusive CNC-machined wheels and equalized 100 ton trucks.

The Platinum Series TRINCool 64' Refrigerated Box Car includes:

• The only Trinity 64’ Reefer designed, engineered, and tooled in the U.S.
• Precision micro-tooled by the renowned CMT
• Factory installed Kadee® #58 couplers
• ExactRail’s exclusive equalized 100-Ton Trucks
• CNC-Machined RP-25 metal wheel sets
• Numerous fine-scale metal etchings, wire formed parts and brass rodding
• ExactRail’s exclusive seperate door tracks and near-scale draft gear,
'drop down' brake rigging, air lines, coupler cut levers and air hoses
• Available in 24 road numbers!

The N-Series TRINCool 64' Refrigerated Box Car includes:

• The only N-Scale Trinity 64’ Reefer designed, engineered, and tooled in the U.S.
• Precision micro-tooled by the renowned CMT
• Factory installed McHenry knuckle sprung couplers
• All-new body mounted couplers featured for the first time in ExactRail N-Scale!
• Numerous fine-scale metal etchings, and extensive brake rigging detail
• ExactRail's CNC-machined metal wheel sets
• The finest micro-tooling in the industry!
• Available in 24 road numbers!

Don't wait for tomorrow, take advantage of ExactRail's pre-release reservation today!

Blaine Hadfield
VP of Operations, ExactRail

Date: 08/06/10 15:35
Re: ExactRail announces 64' TRINCool Phase II Reefer!
Author: brfriedm

Oh boy. Isn't this the same car that BLMA announced at the NMRA convention?

Bruce

Date: 08/06/10 15:43
Author: espeeboy

WTF? Here we go again, two companies announcing the exact same highly detailed exact car within a month of each other. Hmmm, a race to market I see...

Date: 08/06/10 15:52
Author: rschonfelder

What a waste of industry resources. And both are the high end of the market so both will be quality models. Why don't these people talk to each other? because then it wouldn't be a proprietary secret. The only people who will be happy with this will be those who were disappointed that BLMA was only doing 24 numbers.

Rick

Date: 08/06/10 15:56
Author: spike

Why not the 72' foot BNSF version?

Mason

Date: 08/06/10 15:58
Author: toledopatch

And those who want to build huge unit trains now can have up to 48 numbers, assuming there are no duplications in that regard.

Fortunately for my wallet, these cars are too new for me, regardless of who's producing them.

Whoever's producing graffiti decals, meanwhile, should expect a surge in business from all but the in-denial present-day modelers!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/10 15:59 by toledopatch.

Date: 08/06/10 16:02

Well I do not know what Craig at BLMA has invested so far in this project but I think his cars were not due till June of next year. The Exactrail ad states "coming soon" and I am guessing December 2010 at the latest. They could easily have 2 full runs out by then. I think if BLMA is not too vested, they cut and run and move over to the BNSF reefers. Only Craig knows. Good luck Craig!

Bruce

toledopatch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And those who want to build huge unit trains now
> can have up to 48 numbers, assuming there are no
> dupications in that regard.
>
> Fortunately for my wallet, these cars are too new
> for me, regardless of who's producing them.
>
> Whoever's producing graffiti decals, meanwhile,
> should expect a surge in business from all but the
> in-denial present-day modelers!

Date: 08/06/10 16:09

Yes, ExactRail's Trinity announcement is for the same type of car as what BLMA announced. The Trinity 64' TRINCool modern reefer car is an good choice for a manufacturer. It is a striking prototype that is capable of being well represented as a model.

In this case, we were first aware of the BLMA announcement at the Milwaukee show, and while there, we spoke with Craig about having the same car. Given BLMA's release date, it seems clear that they are in the earlier stages of development. But at this time, I believe it may be too late for course amendments on either end.

Blaine Hadfield

Date: 08/06/10 16:29

choochooboy Wrote:
> Yes, ExactRail's Trinity announcement is for the
> same type of car as what BLMA announced. <snip>
>
> In this case, we were first aware of the BLMA
> announcement at the Milwaukee show, and while
> there, we spoke with Craig about having the same
> car. Given BLMA's release date, it seems clear
> that they are in the earlier stages of
> development. But at this time, I believe it may be
> too late for course amendments on either end.

In that case, collude to the extent necessary that the two companies don't offer duplicate car numbers!

Date: 08/06/10 18:40
Author: bnsfmodeler

My purchase will be with BLMA there true commitment to real thing. I think ExactRail while they have a lot of detail, they have the toy look like Kato but hey where is the BNSF version I need some love.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/10 18:49 by bnsfmodeler.

Date: 08/06/10 19:17
Author: tacarlson

"I think ExactRail while they have a lot of detail, they have the toy look like Kato but hey where is the BNSF version I need some love." Not sure where you are coming with that, but yeah, each to his own.

Todd

Date: 08/06/10 20:29
Author: kestrel

Does this mean that ExactRail is trying to be the 800lb gorilla and undercut other's projects. I understand that this is business. However, this isn't two big boys like Athearn and Walthers going at each other. Not sure how this is going to benefit the industry. Can't imagine that BLMA or ExactRail exactly has an over abundance of money to take a hit like this. Personally, I know Craig and he is a good guy. I'm supporting him and his efforts.

Vince Smith
Aransas Pass, TX

Date: 08/06/10 21:34
Author: DKay

tracktime Wrote:
> rschonfelder Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > What a waste of industry resources. And both
> are
> > the high end of the market so both will be
> quality
> > models. Why don't these people talk to each
> > other? because then it wouldn't be a
> proprietary
> > secret. The only people who will be happy with
> > this will be those who were disappointed that
> BLMA
> > was only doing 24 numbers.
> >
> > Rick
>
> Completely agree here. Total waste of tooling,
> especially given the fact that BLMA has already
> announced an IDENTICAL MODEL in both HO and N.
> Thumbs DOWN Exactrail - Sorry Blaine & Chris C.
>
> Cheers,
> Harry

I have often wondered why even the big players in the industry do this duplication gig at times.I guess we modellers will be the winners here.Both should be outstanding models judging from their previous offerings.
regards,Daryl kay.

Date: 08/06/10 23:01

The Trinity 64' TRINCool Phase II modern reefer is a good choice for a model. And as I mentioned in my previous post, we weren't aware of Craig's intentions until his formal announcement in Milwaukee.

It is unfortunate that manufacturers share production interests in the same car. I understand that this inhibits product diversity when diversity is encouraged. However, I find the reproach expressed by some as awkward. There is a sense in which we would be expected to surrender a project which is in an advanced state of completion for one that is announced.

We were not the only manufacturer interested in the modern Trinity reefer. Brian Marsh, President of Overland Models, also had interest in the TRINCool 64' modern reefer. He was interested in the car as an Overland brass model. Knowing that ExactRail is the industry's most active manufacturer with respect to freight cars, Brian wanted to know what our specific interests were for this car. As part of his due-diligence process, he contacted us, and we were willing to have a conversation about it.

As a professional courtesy, I have personally contacted Craig Martin, President of BLMA, regarding a different product we hold for future production. Because of this conversation, Craig understands that we are willing to share information. In this case, he chose not to reciprocate. The result is that we are offering the same car.

Again, the Trinity 64' TRINCool phase II reefer is a good project. It is a striking prototype, and a car which modern modelers require. We will bring to market our best work; we hope that modelers will appreciate the result.

Kindest regards,

Blaine Hadfield

Date: 08/07/10 01:04
Author: bnsfsd70

wtf? Ugh...

Date: 08/07/10 01:29

kestrel Wrote:
> Does this mean that ExactRail is trying to be the
> 800lb gorilla and undercut other's projects. I
> understand that this is business. However, this
> isn't two big boys like Athearn and Walthers going
> at each other.

You obviously haven't been paying attention. Blaine has said several times that his company was unaware of BLMA's project to produce the same car until the train show in Milwaukee last month.

It sounds like ExactRail is a lot farther down the production trail on this one than BLMA is, but because of the different ways that ExactRail and BLMA market their products, BLMA actually announced its car first. ExactRail has an observed habit of announcing its upcoming releases only a short time before they are distributed, whereas other manufacturers announce them much farther in advance.

It certainly would be interesting, philosophically, to know what would have happened had these two manufacturers known about each other's intentions before both got past the point of no return on product development, but that ship has sailed.

It's a shame to me only in that it means that resources that SOMEBODY could have devoted to a different project ended up devoted to this one. I wouldn't really care which; both manufacturers seem to make good products.

Date: 08/07/10 02:41
Author: Fizzboy7

I suppose the odds would be that once in a blue moon this would happen. However it is still a shame this car will be dulpicated and another would not be produced.

Hey, now that two companies are going to produce the same thing and business will overlap, does that mean we can expect major price reductions? Isn't that how supply and demand works? I know... just kidding.

Date: 08/07/10 06:27

Let's not forget that Exactrail announced the 4780 Evans covered hopper well after Walthers had announced there's. No biggie as Walthers is not doing as good a work as Exactrail but another example of 2 cars done that is not needed.

Bruce

Date: 08/07/10 07:08
Author: ghemr

Has anyone realized that none of the manufacturer's have attempted to make a modern-day carbon black covered hopper?

Date: 08/07/10 09:30

CSX_ENG Wrote:
> Has anyone realized that none of the
> manufacturers have attempted to make a modern-day
> carbon black covered hopper?

Yep. That's on my cars-I'd-like-to-see list, and has been mentioned on TO before.

I'd also like to see somebody do a vinyl chloride tank car.

It's tough to cry too long about what hasn't been done, though, considering all the new stuff that has come out during the past five years. And with the Chinese manufacturing sector apparently consolidating and hiking prices, we may well look back on this era as a golden age for "inexpensive" highly-detailed plastic models.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1064 seconds