Home Open Account Help 320 users online

Model Railroading > Model train carrying case, Texas sized

Date: 08/18/10 18:18
Model train carrying case, Texas sized
Author: WrongWayMurphy

One has to carry one's trains so they don't get damaged. I just bought this trailer cheap,
though somewhat dilapidated, but put in new floor, new wheel bearings, new 2" hitch and safety chains.
Then laid down three parallel "rails" (3/4" sq tubing)and a coat of Deere green and will accent with
yellow - maybe yellow chevrons on the front?

Barely room for the ten-wheeler and tender, so the flat car may have to be left behind. A tarp over the
top and we're ready for fall steam season, baby.

Date: 08/18/10 18:56
Re: Model train carrying case, Texas sized
Author: lizzard_45

Yes, yellow chevrons on the front, and going toward the rear. MKT initials on there too.

Paul Liddiard
Spanish Fork, UT

Date: 08/18/10 19:41
Author: DKay

Pretty cool there Shane.You get any more big toys ,and you may need a 5th wheel style trailer.
Regards,DK

Date: 08/18/10 19:45
Author: tomstp

Hope yall notice he has several compartments he can put gorillas and spooky things in. He can't go anywhere without them.

Date: 08/18/10 19:47
Author: DynamicBrake

That is really cool....just enough space for padding all around. If we met on the road, I can guarantee you "a look." Thanks for sharing and again, great work.

Kent in Carmel Valley

Date: 08/18/10 23:50
Author: E25

Nice trailer.

Assuming that your reference to "safety chains" refers to the ones between the trailer and your vehicle...hopefully, you have devised a means for blocking and attaching your equipment securely to the floor and to the side-panels of the trailer.

It doesn't take much of a bounce, a sharp turn or a sudden stop to really mess up your equipment... regardless of how heavy it may be.

Best regards,

-- Greg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/10 23:56 by Greg.

Date: 08/19/10 01:01
Author: funnelfan

Maybe put some eyebolts down on the car floor and run bungee straps over the ends of the cars. That'll keep them from bounce around too much.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 08/19/10 08:15

Ratchet straps are the only way to tie down live steam equipment as it allows you to compress truck springs. I tried using bungees and they are not good if you hit a bump or swales in road.

Date: 08/19/10 08:17
Author: sandmanre

So, where are your polished mag wheels and 10 clearance lights down the side this thing. Got to be able to light it up at night to keep not so careful drivers away from it.......LOL

Ron Evans
Golden Valley, AZ

Date: 08/19/10 10:49
Author: TheCurator

Looks good, AE. I would second the ratchet strap idea - don't need anything taking a flying leap out of the trailer.

Still no cupholders on those seats...

Date: 08/20/10 17:22
Author: upkpfan

Why not get a enclosed trailer? That mesh on the sides won't keep water out. upkpfan

Date: 08/20/10 19:53
Author: WrongWayMurphy

upkpfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why not get a enclosed trailer? That mesh on the
> sides won't keep water out. upkpfan

Cuzz TomSTP (poster above) has an enclosed trailer for his live steamer and he highly recommended
that I get an open one. I have a tarp to keep the rain out of the center section where the trains
are and don't care about water on the sides. And yes I will be using ratchet straps.

Date: 08/23/10 11:39

Closed trailers drop your gas mileage about in half due to all the air they catch. And they weigh a lot more than an open trailer.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0608 seconds