Home Open Account Help 323 users online

Model Railroading > Rock Island F-Units

Date: 08/18/10 12:33
Rock Island F-Units
Author: AgentSmith

Well I just got done with my two RI F-units and i wondered if I should show them off here on TO. Well If I get some crazy comments..oh well. I like um! But Il have to work on the comuters a lot more. I did the best I can with photos from slides and the internet. The 675 was started with an Atheran Genesis RI 120, I added the HEP details on the roof and the lower headlight. I was lucky to find an exact paint match to Athearns maroon red for the 675,but with some weathering, it all blended in nicely. The 676 however was done from scratch, started with one highliner shell and went from there. The hard part is masking off the yellow around the nose...whew, i wont be doing this again for a while. I think the model turned out real good. I hope it will be approved by most Rock modelers.....Note: I havent added the front coupler untill I install a TCS TX-4 decoder..thats the only thing left I need to do......Steven

Date: 08/18/10 12:40
Re: Rock Island F-Units
Author: tpwman

THERES NO WAY THOSE ARE ROCK ISLAND. THEY ARE IN TO GOOD OF SHAPE.LOL

Date: 08/18/10 12:54
Author: burlingtonjohn

Beautiful ... now if Walthers would do a decent fluted double deck commute coach in HO ...

Regards,
Burlington John

Date: 08/18/10 13:36
Author: FiveChime

You even have the correct horn, the Nathan P5R24 which you likely had to cinstruct yourself.

Very nice job!

Regards, Jim Evans

Date: 08/18/10 15:28
Author: RailThunder

Wonderful modeling and thanks for sharing. What did you use to weather them?

Date: 08/18/10 17:59
Author: trainmin

Beautiful!

Date: 08/18/10 19:57
Author: Diesel-Doctor

Great work Steve!

I don't know who built more F-Units, You or EMD?? Nice work again!

Date: 08/18/10 21:58

Yea those horns are the new ones from Details West, The weathering was Floquil grimy black, some grime...and a little gloss black around the exaust ports and fuel tank. al done with a airbrush...

Date: 08/18/10 23:01
Author: Afbombers

Very nice work, forgive my RI ignorance but what is the set of pipes directly above the dynamic brake area for?

Date: 08/18/10 23:21

Well those pipes are for the oil cooler just in front of the HEP cooling fans. On the 675, I just took Athearns oil cooler and turned it 90. and moved it forword, then drilled two holes to put the pipes back into the carbody. If anybody on here worked for the Rock, what was the oil cooler for? prime mover oil? or to cool the cummins engine oil? Just curious.....Steven in Aurora

Date: 08/19/10 03:42
Author: dt8089

Nice work Steve. The weathering is just right two days after its been washed. :-)
Remember the Rock. Dan Tracy

Date: 08/19/10 08:14
Author: CNW

Those are sweet! I like the detailing and weathering. Makes me want to build more C&NW F's!

Dennis

Date: 08/19/10 14:54

I hope somebody from Atheran is reading this thread..maybe now is a good time to build some F-units like these...bet they would sell.

Date: 08/19/10 21:21
Author: bnsfsd70

They look great! My Dad's got MANY shots of those two units between Blue Island and Joliet. You didn't happen to catch the RI transfer caboose thread of mine up here, did you?

- Jeff Carlson
Topeka, KS

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0521 seconds