Home Open Account Help 233 users online

Model Railroading > New Layout Help

Date: 08/19/10 06:53
New Layout Help
Author: newriver400

I'm trying to plan a new layout in HO scale based on the C&O. I'm wanting to be able to run all of C&O's big power so I was thinking of modeling the mainline from Russell to ??? to include the Cabin Creek sub. Was the mainline all double track? Anyone know where to find some good railmaps of the area. Any suggestions are welcome. Just trying to plan.

Date: 08/19/10 07:08
Re: New Layout Help
Author: BNSF-E9

Try the C&O Historical Society in Clifton Forge, VA. 800-453-2647 and for research questions 540-862-0067. Those numbers were taken from the C&O historical Magazine. Maybe this can get you started.

Date: 08/19/10 10:42
Author: CIOR

Yup, call or use their Inquiry tool.
When I started to design my C&O layout, I used the inquiry tool and had items in the mail the following week and I was also set up with the historian over my area. For a small fee I was able to get full sized copied of the valuation maps for the segment I modeled. This was ideal as the sheets are close to 4' long and 2' tall for my section. The detail was something that aided my modeling greatly.

Also I was set up with more information than I could possibly ever use.

Having dealt with other historical groups over the years, I will say the C&O group is by far the best at getting people the material they need! I wasn't a member when I started, and that didn't have any bearing on them getting me the info I needed.

Great group!

Date: 08/19/10 12:34
Author: aehouse

I've been a member of the C&OHS (and a subscriber to the magazine out of which the Society evolved) for 39 years, and never regretted a moment of it.

The Society is one of the few railroad historical groups with a full-time professional staff and accessible archives. It is also a great source of C&O models, reprints of official C&O operations materials, equipment and track diagrams, specialties, and memorabilia.

If you're going to model the C&O, you need to join. They have available on a PDF disc the entire archive of their magazine, which has been published--for the most part monthly--since 1969.

And that's just a starter.

Art House
Gettysburg, Pa.

Date: 08/19/10 19:10
Author: wabash2800

There are some great all color C&O books out there that document the area. Or perhaps you were inspired by them? I don't model the C&O but have most of them. It's a cool RR. Too bad that screw ball Robert Young was involved with it.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0437 seconds