Home Open Account Help 353 users online

Model Railroading > SP Cabooses

Date: 09/14/10 10:06
SP Cabooses
Author: funnelfan

Been on a Caboose kick lately. I finished up a kitbashed SP C-50-5 I made from a Walthers kit. Also close to finished is a old SP C-30-1 Walthers caboose that I plan to use with my steam locomotives. I'm also in the middle of a kitbash and modernization of a Atlas BN wide-vision caboose. I hope to have photos soon of the completed projects. Anyways I was wondering if someone has a good photo of a SP C-30-1 from the steam era? My SP books fail to have a good photo of one of these hacks. Also, how close is the Athearn steel cupola caboose to a SP prototype. My understanding is that it's a ATSF prototype, but it looks similar to SP cars? What is the best way to make a model of a SP steel cupola caboose like the C40-3 class? Thanks!

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 09/14/10 11:08
Re: SP Cabooses
Author: Arved

I would think the easiest way to model a C-40-3 is to simply buy one. :-)

http://www.wrighttrak.com/page3.php?view=productPage&product=26&category=2#

You can see the instructions here:

http://www.wrighttrak.com/attachments/File/SP_Caboose_Instructions.pdf

I haven't yet, but I'm very, very tempted.

The Athearn ATSF caboose isn't really close. Maybe as a 10' model (that is, viewed from 10 feet away), but I don't think SP had any cabooses with a curved roof. Rebuilding with a peaked roof might prove challenging, but then you've got other issues, such as window layout, underframe details. Depends on how close you want it. Many are happy with repainting the ATSF caboose in SP paint. (IIRC, it was also offered painted in SP by Athearn, at least in the "shake the box" kit days). Adding the "bugeye" signals and "flying saucer" antenna dish will go a long way toward believability.

I came across a stash of C-30-1 caboose photos recently on the net, but I can't lay my hand on them. I'll have to dig through my browser history to find them. If I find something, I'll reply again. Basically, the Walthers C-30-1 is OK, except the steps are too narrow (18" vs. 24" wide). The AMB kit is the way to go for these.

Hope this helps!

- Arved
Modeling the Southern Pacific from AC-4s to AC4400CWs.

Date: 09/14/10 11:32

Figures, I go over on ebay to compare various cabooses and find the Wright Trak model for a great price. Didn't know about the model prior to this. So I bought it right away. Looks like a excellent kit, anyone ever tried it before?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230509228964

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 09/14/10 11:57
Author: Arved

Congratulations! Great deal. Wish I'd found it first. :-)

Let us know what you think of the kit.

- Arved

Date: 09/14/10 11:59

It'd probably help if I looked at my own collection of photos sometimes. I'm noticing that the C-30-1's were modernized with larger cupolas and sometimes more modern handbrakes. This example is at Garibaldi, OR.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.058 seconds