Home Open Account Help 189 users online

Model Railroading > Grand Road layout photos

Date: 09/19/10 14:27
Grand Road layout photos
Author: grandroad

I have been working of getting the color right on my layout photos. Here are some shots I took last weekend on the Grand Road above the town of Terror Creek. The Grand Road is a N-scale protofreelance layout depicting about two miles of mainline on the western slope of the Colorado Rockies.

The first shot is a west bound freight (DNPOMF-Denver to Portland Manifest Freight) led by a C44-9W. It is exiting the Leckenby Tunnel which crosses the Continental Divide. Thus, No. 140 will be in dynamics quite a while as it drifts down to the Grand River Canyon. Note that the Colorado River was originally called the Grand River until about 1921 when the name was changed by an act of Congress. This was due to confusion on the river name because below the confluence of the Green River, in Utah, it was known as the Colorado River. The origin of the Colorado River is Grand Lake, largest natural lake in Colorado, and Grand Junction, a major western slope town, is on the Colorado River.

The second shot is of the RODNMF (Roseville-Denver Manifest Freight) led by SD70MAC No. 2001. This 43 car freight and is emerging from the dark of hidden storage. Thus, this is the first eastbound tunnel on the upper deck of the layout. Obviously, the layout is DC since I had to turn the power off to shoot the photo and the headlight is out.

The final photo is of the same train a little further up the track as it starts to cross the Terror Creek deck bridge.

Hope you enjoy.
Paul

Date: 09/19/10 15:33
Re: Grand Road layout photos
Author: chester

Great shots. Look's real.

Date: 09/19/10 17:35
Author: ChessieFan2

Amazing rockwork and scenery. Very, very impressive!

ChessieFan2

Date: 09/20/10 08:27
Author: NJTMatt

Very impressed with your work ever since I saw it in one of the n scale magazines! Great stuff hope to see more in the future!

Date: 09/21/10 09:57
Author: SandingValve

Nice work Paul!

SV

Date: 09/21/10 16:32
Author: wabash2800

Your fine layout was featured in Model Railroader or Railroad Model Craftsman a few years ago wasn't it?

Date: 09/21/10 18:55
Author: grandroad

wabash2800-
It was in MR way back in the days of film photography. George Hall was sent by MR to photograph it. He was a professional and has a load of high powered floodlights. We had wires strung from every room in the house as they kept blowing breakers. I thought he was going to melt every plastic thing in the room.
Now you shoot a photo, take it up to the computer, check for dark areas, change the lighting, reshoot five minutes later, process the RAW information, adjust every aspect of the photo and print it in your house. Another paradigm shift.
Paul

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0578 seconds