Home Open Account Help 203 users online

Model Railroading > Removing DCC/DC Sound Boards From Athearn & BLI Steam

Date: 10/06/10 14:05
Removing DCC/DC Sound Boards From Athearn & BLI Steam
Author: atsf2333

I will be switching to DCC in a couple years. In the meantime I am running straight DC and would like to run my Athearn Challenger and my BLI 3751 Northern with some of my DC engines. Right now, of course, the starting voltages are drastically different because of the stock DCC/DC sound boards in the Challenger and Northern.

Can I just remove the boards in these engines and they will run in DC or is it not that simple? And are there any precautions I need to take while doing this? Since I haven’t started in DCC yet, I have zero idea of how to avoid doing damage to these expensive babies.

Thanks for helping a 40 year model railroader with a newbie question.

ATSF 2333

Date: 10/07/10 00:52
Re: Removing DCC/DC Sound Boards From Athearn & BLI Ste
Author: Andre

Boy my advice is don't do it, there are lots of wires and electrical connections that need to be made correctly. Second the lights on the Athearn can not be hooked directly to track power with out resistors as they run at 1.5 volts. I don't know the proper value for the resistors my self. I would either content my self to run them by themselves or to invest in a DCC system. A decent DCC system can be had for around $175.00, much less than the locomotives.

Andre

Date: 10/07/10 09:55
Author: sphauler

Why remove the DCC boards now if you plan to go DCC later. Are you just tired of the sound? I believe that's why the manufactures designed the locomotives to work with both systems. I am sorry but I don't see the point. Though every man has his own journey.

Date: 10/07/10 10:37
Author: wabash2800

I can see your point about the current draw as you have to crank up the throttle all the way with DC to get the locos to move and even then they won't operate at top speed. I suppose running more than one of these locos and with other standard DC locos is an issue too.

However, I agree with everyone so far that tearing out the wires, adding resistors etc. and then having to reinstall everything later, is not worth it.

Just be content with running them as is on DC for now until you switch over, as these are sophisticated jewels that cost too much to mess with, IMHO.

If it'll be a while before you switch over, I wonder if you can buy a DC power pack (with throttle) with say a 5 amp capacity to give the locos more juice and then later use it as a power supply for your DCC? But I am not in the know about any DC powerpacks with that much of an amp rating that will be cost effective.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/10 10:39 by wabash2800.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0332 seconds