Home Open Account Help 283 users online

Model Railroading > Chinese Model RR Equipment

Date: 10/19/10 12:39
Chinese Model RR Equipment
Author: UPWPFan

Folks;

I have noticed on E bay quite a selection of prototypical Chinese model railway equipment in HO scale. See this link;

http://shop.ebay.com/rabyzc/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p4340

Manufacture is Bachmann. I have become interested in this equipment and was wondering if any of you have had any experience with this equipment. Several questions come to mind;

1. Is this stuff compatible with code 83 track?

2. Is it DCC compatible?

3. What is the quality like?

Inquiring minds would like to know. Serious replies only. Thanks.

Jere Ingram

Date: 10/19/10 13:59
Re: Chinese Model RR Equipment
Author: rschonfelder

UPWPFan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 1. Is this stuff compatible with code 83 track?

Yes.

> 2. Is it DCC compatible?

Yes.

> 3. What is the quality like?

Excellent. There is a wide separation between the crap that Bachman has done for the USA modeler and that which is done for the British/European market. These Chinese models emulate the latter.

Rick

Date: 10/19/10 14:06
Author: rschonfelder

BTW Jere, I saw one of the Chinese Schnabel cars this past weekend at a local hobby shop. It was beautiful and if you like unique loads, it is worth the money. I wonder how long before someone does an American version.

Rick

Date: 10/19/10 17:12
Author: emd_mrs1

I have a number of the Bachmann China models such as the C30-7, DF8, the Tibet Full width carbody GE and a passenger train.

All are superb.

The sleeper cars come with full interiors and a small bag of pillows....

MP

Date: 10/19/10 17:57
Author: BN7149

But isn't ALL the model railroad equipment Chinese? :-D

Date: 10/19/10 23:07
Author: alaska

BN7149:
YES!

Hal

Date: 10/20/10 04:10
Author: kgmontreal

There is a Canadian importer of such models. He has a wide selection and good service. http://www3.telus.net/ChinaRail/Models.html

KG

Date: 10/20/10 09:51
Author: rapidotrains

kgmontreal Wrote:
> There is a Canadian importer of such models. He
> has a wide selection and good service.
> http://www3.telus.net/ChinaRail/Models.html
>
> KG

Wow. It is cheaper to buy from this guy in BC than from the hobby shop in Shenzhen, a two-hour drive from where the models are manufactured.

I have a couple of the passenger cars. The decoration and assembly is first rate but the detail is a bit spartan, especially the underbody and interior. The swing-out coupler system is quite fragile and broke fairly quickly. Body-mounting Kadees can be done but it is a bit tricky as there is very little floor to attach the coupler boxes to.

-Jason

Date: 10/20/10 14:37
Author: UPWPFan

Folks;

Thanks for the feed back. Does any one have a recommendation for a complete consist (locomotive and passenger cars and/or freight) to purchase? Would like to get my feet wet here but want to keep expenditure below $500. Would like to stay with Bachmann China as the manufacturer.

Regards

Jere Ingram

Date: 10/20/10 19:10
Author: BandOblades

Well I have 5 HO Bachmann China QJ 2-10-2s (2 custom weathered, and look pretty good) and one Bachmann China SY 2-8-2. As for operation and detail, they do rival some brass for detail work, but operation, as far as pulling goes, is not the greatest. In general they do operate very well when not under any real load. At best, maybe 15 cars before having to double, and on mine the drivers are generally slipping with 15 cars (regular modern freight cars) on them on straight and level track. As for the ebay ad, I bought most of my steamers from him, as he had the stock while the seller that was mentioned in Canada did not. However, there is DCC w/sound decoders available, or was when I got them, for the QJ, and I was able to get them from the mentioned Canadian seller. Yes they do have a quick plug. The decoders will have to be set up in the tender. The decoders I believe, are made in Taiwan, but have suffered from quality control issues. The quality control issues were mentioned awhile ago on this board from an IAIS modeler. Kind of like the MRC decoders in older Genesis locos. Also, the seller in China will make good on any problems you may have on the engines you buy from him. I had one QJ that had a broken bracket for the eccentric/valve gear rods on one side, and he sent me a replacement loco at no charge. Generally, I am still impressed with these engines, and they do look good when compared to my PRR T1 and UP Big Boy side-by-side.

Also, for the SY, figure about 6-8 cars, and slippage with anything more, on straight and level track. Was curious awhile back if these QJs could be repowered, and wanted to try it on one that had a bad motor, but haven't found one yet.

Hope this helps,

Very Respectfully,

Jason

P.S. PM me if you have more questions.

Date: 10/21/10 10:03
Author: Arved

I need a 3 axle (C) diesel truck with 1 meter spacing between the axles (2M wheelbase), preferably with 40" wheels (although I suspect I might be able to shoehorn NWSL wheels if it doesn't have that size). Do any of these Chinese diesels or electrics qualify?

Thanks,
- Arved

Date: 10/21/10 22:58
Author: alaska

BahdOblades:

You might try some Bullfrog Snot traction compound on your model's driving wheels.
I heard it works fine and I plan on using it on my Bachmann Spectrum 4-8-4 steam engine.
About $20 from Walthers.

Hal

Date: 10/22/10 10:50
Author: ChS7-321

rapidotrains Wrote:
The swing-out coupler system is
> quite fragile and broke fairly quickly.
> Body-mounting Kadees can be done but it is a bit
> tricky as there is very little floor to attach the
> coupler boxes to.
>
> -Jason

The several Bachmann China models that I have came with body-mounted couplers.

What swing-out system are you referring to? If it's the standard NEM one (where couplers "clip in"), then I have dozens of primarily Roco European models with this coupling system (standard on all European-outline equipment), and have yet to break anything. Jason, I wonder how you managed that one.....

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0676 seconds