Home Open Account Help 285 users online

Model Railroading > Hobby Shops in Wichita Falls?

Date: 10/20/10 12:35
Hobby Shops in Wichita Falls?
Author: nosredna13

All,

I have recently moved from California to Wichita Falls, Texas and I am in need of a good hobby shop, prefer one local. Know of any? Also, are there any local clubs close by? My research has not turned up much, but would love to hear what the people on the board have to say. Thanks.

Paul

Date: 10/20/10 12:53
Re: Hobby Shops in Wichita Falls?
Author: 1stcajon

Have you checked the NMRA website?

Date: 10/20/10 12:55
Author: WrongWayMurphy

I'd get a shovel and dig yourself a tornado shelter first, then worry about the hobby shops (which I do not believe there are any in WF).

Date: 10/20/10 13:12
Author: tomstp

Hey Urgle, you gonna scare that fella to death!

Date: 10/20/10 13:22
Author: WrongWayMurphy

tomstp Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey Urgle, you gonna scare that fella to death!

He'll thank me after his first F4

Date: 10/20/10 14:30

ArgyleEagle Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> tomstp Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Hey Urgle, you gonna scare that fella to death!
>
> He'll thank me after his first F4

I don't think the apartment complex would approve of digging through my downstair neighbor's apartment. ;) I was hoping to avoid having to drive to Dallas/Ft. Worth. As far as clubs go on the NRMA site, there is not a whole lot listed and what is there, frankly is confusing. I was hoping for a club or someone near by that had opp sessions, but it appears I could be in the model railroad desert, lol.

Date: 10/20/10 14:31
Author: pilotblue

I can tell you from personal experience that Discount Model Trains in Addison, just north of Dallas is a neat, well stocked, well run train shop. Not exactly close to WF but if you combine a little railfanning coming and going it should make for a nice day.

There is a nice little train museum in WF right next to the BNSF mainline.

When you get settled, devote a day to sitting at the Saginaw Chamber of Commerce. Nice, safe spot to watch trains.

Good luck with the move!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/10 14:46 by pilotblue.

Date: 10/20/10 15:11
Author: tomstp

No true Hobby shops in Wichita Falls. Okla City and Dallas are your best bets. Lots of BNSF trains thru WF though. Warning: when you go to Discount Trains in Dallas (actually the suberb of Addison on the north side of Dallas), either take a lot of cash or your credit card. Man, they have the stock!

Date: 10/20/10 15:43
Author: rminer

Yep, have to agree. Your best bet is Oklahoma City and Dallas/Fort Worth for hobby shops. If you get a chance rail fanning is also good up the highway toward Amarillo and you can catch Hollis & Eastern, Farmrail, and WT&J (which is hubbed out of Wichita Falls) up in Altus at times. The BNSF line heading south out of Wichita Falls has some cool rolling rails/hills (toward Bowie). There are some posts/pics on here and railpictures of that area.

Date: 10/20/10 16:26
Author: rehunn

If you're in HO or N then Discount is well worth the drive(even if you use
the 50 cent toll tunnel to get there). And as to taking money, don;t bother,
just latch on to your banker and the blank letter of credit. They def have
the inventory.

Date: 10/20/10 20:03

Any model railroaders in the somewhat nearby area that have opp sessions? I left my hobby stuff at my parent's place (plus dad can run it on his layout till I can come and claim it) as I don't have the room at my apartment and to find someway to stay active in the hobby lest I truly fall to armchair status.

Date: 10/20/10 20:19
Author: superchief73

Spent 1 year in Air Force Technical School in the early 90's. There was a Mall in town and across the street was a Hobby Shop. Sorry, dont know the streets!

Date: 10/21/10 00:08
Author: Matt_SD40T-2

I too was blessed at being stationed at Sheppard went I went through as a crew chief on bombers in 02. One of my friends had a nitro R/C dune buggy we would run down the halls in the dorms on the weekends. One of the instructors put a stop to that pretty quick...
Matt

Date: 10/21/10 16:47
Author: santafe49

Try this guy. He is around Wichita Falls, somewhere. I orgered some old stuff from him a couple of years ago. He was old then, but his website shows recent update.

www.enginetender.com

The Engine Tender
3808-B Kemp Blvd
940-733-7857
3808-B Kemp Blvd
877-987-2460
Wichita Falls, TX 76308

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/10 16:48 by santafe49.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0467 seconds