Home Open Account Help 221 users online

Model Railroading > Still No Luck With The Shinohara Switch

Date: 10/27/10 17:05
Still No Luck With The Shinohara Switch
Author: bucky1986

Just about to give up on this project. Is there something online that has a diagram on how to get this darn switch to work right? I'm willing to go and get a tortoise switch machine. Please, any help will be greatly appreciate...Todd

Date: 10/27/10 17:44
Re: Still No Luck With The Shinohara Switch
Author: wc581

I use them all the time, best ready made turnouts on the market (IMO). What is the problem, please describe, photo of switch points would help us determine what version you have also

Mike

Date: 10/27/10 17:58
Author: spjim

I installed about a dozen of the Walthers/Shinohara DCC-ready turnouts about a year ago. They all have the insulated frog with internal jumpers to route power across the frog. Two of them have already failed on one side, i.e., there was absolutely no power across the frog on one side of the turnout. I had to add my own jumper across that side of the frog to get them to work.

Jim Lancaster

Date: 10/27/10 18:07
Author: bucky1986

After I installed the switch into the layout, I ran a engine to test out the switch for any problems. The engine went over the switch with no problem, but when I flip the switch to send the unit to the other track, it did not move at all. Shinohara HO 109 Code 100 Nickle Silver #6 Single Left Hand Crossover Turnout is what I have.

Date: 10/27/10 18:47
Author: up421

Todd,

Is this what you are referring to, in your post, as the switch?

Photo of Shinohara 109.

Bob

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/10 18:51 by up421.

Date: 10/27/10 18:49
Author: barrydraper

There are just too many ways you could have gone wrong and you haven't given us any information. What did you use to "flip the switch"? Are you running DC or DCC? How is the track and the switch wired? Where do the tracks go from the switch, that is, how is the switch inserted into your layout? Is this your first switch or do you have other switches that are working?

Barry Draper

Date: 10/27/10 19:19
Author: MMD

Go and BUY yourself a GOOD track wiring book like Kalmback's " Easy Model Railroad Wiring " Second Edition by Andy Sperandeo It'll cost you $22 buck but it will give you all the information. Much better that asking questions here and not giving any information on how you have wired your layout.

Malcolm
\ New Zealand.

Date: 10/27/10 19:23
Author: TCnR

MMD Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Go and BUY yourself a GOOD track wiring book like
> Kalmback's " Easy Model Railroad Wiring " Second
> Edition by Andy Sperandeo It'll cost you $22 buck
> but it will give you all the information. Much
> better that asking questions here and not giving
> any information on how you have wired your
> layout.
>

Completely agree, it's essential to understand the sketches and 'old school' approaches for that style of track switch.

Or buy DCC friendly. Actually buying one DCC friendly switch would cost less that the book.

Just noticed that you can buy a download from Kalmbach for less than a new switch:
http://www.kalmbachstore.com/modeltrains-railroading-model-railroading-digital-downloads-downloadable-articles-dc-wiring-and-digi.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/10 19:30 by TCnR.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0445 seconds