Home Open Account Help 174 users online

Model Railroading > A few pics of my latest flat car load

Date: 07/16/11 18:34
A few pics of my latest flat car load
Author: mongo

Here are a few pictures of my latest project. I recently acquired an old Riverossi heisler and after taking it apart and seeing how it was built on the inside decided not to try to put a decoder in it. this is what happened after I stripped the guts out of it.

Date: 07/16/11 19:45
Re: A few pics of my latest flat car load
Author: up833

It wont get by the Car Inspector with tie downs like that! I like the weathering.
Roger B

Date: 07/16/11 20:07

thats all I could figure out. any ideas would be appreciated

mongo

Date: 07/16/11 20:52
Author: rschonfelder

I wood think there would be some very heavy timber used for wooden blocks. Round wheels on rails would not be good for any form of movement in train ie. lurching. Chains are usually cross tied where possible but especially underneathe. The chain across the tender likely doesn't hold much.

I do want to say that I like your creativity and guts to put a model like this together. Most would have put the Heisler on eBay. Great effort and it is a nice model. Good work and it would surely catch my eye at an operating session.

Rick

Date: 07/16/11 21:03
Author: pmack

Nice job. Here is link with photos of a loco on a flatcar, the PA that was moved to TX recently:
http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,2447837,2448341#msg-2448341

More here:
http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,2447472

Along with the threads about it was a discussion about how well it was or wasn't tied down so they may not be the best illustration but the tiedowns are clearly visible in the photos. There seem to be lots of them around substantial parts of the loco and at angles to keep it from shifting due to slack action.

Date: 07/16/11 22:16

there are some wheel chocls at each end. although not wood they are metal and curve over the rail and bolt to the deck. I will try to get some pics of what I did. thanks for the help I will do some more research and modify as needed.

mongo

Date: 07/16/11 23:40
Author: ChrisCampi

Cool. Why didn't I think of that?

Date: 07/17/11 06:14
Author: coaltrain45

Great idea for the project, may I ask what brand chain and size did you use?

coaltrain45

Date: 07/17/11 11:39

the chain is Aline 40 links per inch. it was the smallest I could get without going to expensive jewelers chain.

mongo

Date: 07/17/11 13:19
Author: drgwguy

mongo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> the chain is Aline 40 links per inch. it was the
> smallest I could get without going to expensive
> jewelers chain.
>
> mongo

I may be wrong(and I'm not sure of the link count), but I thought DA has a finer gauge/link per inch chain available? Personally, I think the thicker looks better because of the load........JMHO

Nice work, and a great idea!

Rick F.

Date: 07/17/11 15:42
Author: up833

Here is another loco on a flatcar...more the size of your engine.
http://www.locophotos.com/PhotoDetails.php?PhotoID=44870
From each point on the loco its anchored both fore and aft so it cannot move as the train starts and stops.
Roger B

Date: 07/25/11 13:28
Author: Sasquatch

Mongo,

Neat load on your flatcar...very cool "repurposing" of your old Heisler!

Here are some nice shots of the 2-6-6-2T Rayonier #8 on a flatcar before they moved it a year or two ago.

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?10,1859086,1859086#msg-1859086

Hope this helps.

--Tom

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0456 seconds