Home Open Account Help 296 users online

Model Railroading > Why do loco lites do this

Date: 10/24/11 14:20
Why do loco lites do this
Author: lugnut4449

Let me see if I can paint this pitcher,your running 4 units in a consit,Front units cab is facing forward,unless your putting full power to the rails,The head lites are barly visable, Your other units are facing backwards towards the rolling stock your pulling. the rear engine lites are as bright as they can be.why do the rear lites lite up better then the front head lites,with the same power to the rails,I'm running regular DC and ive found this to be a issue with Athearn and Atlas locos.besides constant lite kits is there a fix for this.Thanks

Date: 10/24/11 15:13
Re: Why do loco lites do this
Author: funnelfan

Probably has more to do with how the lights are setup in the locomotives themselves. Often the forward headlights are set piped in from a light bulb that is behind the cab, where the rear headlight bub is often quite close to the rear of the shell. You might have to mention the specific make and model of the locomotives you are having trouble with to get a accurate response.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 10/24/11 15:27
Author: brassmag

I've also found that on some locos there are four bulbs facing front but only two to the rear. For example, my Athearn F59phi had one to the rear (always bright on DC) and four to the front (two headlights plus the ditch) and never got that bright.

Date: 10/24/11 16:11
Author: GN599

I am still running analog stuff and at home only need 1 unit. Our clubs portable layout is still analog too, and is the only time I run consists of 2 to 4 units. I take a black Vis-a-Vis marker and blackout all of the headlights of trailing units that are pointed forward. I have found you cant event tell, it looks prototype and the Vis-a-Vis marker is water erase. So when you are done just dab a paper towel with water and it comes right off.

Date: 10/24/11 20:21
Author: lugnut4449

The biggest offender is the Athearn HO RTR units,2 bulbs upfront and 2 bulbs to the rear, Atlas U-boats use a different type of lite system and they are almost nill unless your putting full power to the rail.

Date: 10/24/11 21:03
Author: Larry020

Lug

Some of my engines have 12 volt bulbs, some have constant
lighting, some are LEDs.

Until we get tired of this hodgepodge and bring out the soldering
iron, we are stuck.

I run the engine with the best lights on the point.

Larry

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0384 seconds