Home Open Account Help 366 users online

Model Railroading > Intermountain motors in the SD40-2W and Gevo

Date: 11/29/11 17:05
Intermountain motors in the SD40-2W and Gevo
Author: upmodeler

Are these motors low in torque my Gevo does not slip at all coming up my helix while the three units behind it do. Any info would be nice.

Date: 11/29/11 17:52
Re: Intermountain motors in the SD40-2W and Gevo
Author: kgmontreal

Have you weighed the GEVO in comparison to the units that are slipping?

KG

Date: 11/29/11 18:10

KG no I have not added any weight the units are Genesis SD70m, SD45-2 and SD70.

Date: 11/29/11 18:17
Author: pmack

If the trailing units are lighter they will spin before a heavier unit.

Date: 11/30/11 04:58
Author: EL-SD45-3632

Could it be that the three units that are slipping may be shoving the lead unit because the lead unit is not working as hard??

Date: 11/30/11 06:33
Author: lynngrove

EL-SD45-3632 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Could it be that the three units that are slipping
> may be shoving the lead unit because the lead unit
> is not working as hard??

This could be determined by looking at the couplers between the lead and second unit. If the couplers are stretched, the non-slipping lead unit is doing its share of the pulling. If the couplers are bunched, the slipping second unit is pushing against the lead unit.

Posted from Android

Date: 11/30/11 06:38
Author: NSTopHat

EL-SD45-3632 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Could it be that the three units that are slipping
> may be shoving the lead unit because the lead unit
> is not working as hard??

Have you tried running the four units separately to check their individual speeds at the same voltage? Your issue probably lies there, weight has less to do with it than just the raw speed. The speed issue could be caused by a couple of things; motor speed, gear ratio or electronic power control on the circuit boards.

If you are running DCC, run all four of the engines at the same time, uncoupled and spaced about one to two feet apart from each other. One of three things will happen, the gaps will close, increase or remain the same. The faster locomotives will need to be slowed using the speed curve tables in the decoders so that they all match the slowest locomotive.

If you are not running DCC, then you are going to need to look at running locos that have similar speed charateristics together.

NSTopHat

Date: 11/30/11 07:08
Author: g-spotter

My Gevos are sluggish , if not just plain slow. I am not DCC, so I removed the boards. Now they run great! :-) Might be your problem. From what I heard, they are set up to run with sound units, thus the dragging.

Date: 11/30/11 17:53

Hello guys most of my locos have sound and dcc and I run dcc. The three trailing units are Genesis SD70M (added weight), SD45-2 stock weight and SD70 (added weight) I think they are heavier than the Gevo. I seems that the Gevo is just now pulling its own weight couplers are not pulled tight up the hill so I am thinking a motor problem. Any thoughts.

Date: 11/30/11 17:55

Guys thought it maybe the drive shafts slipping it the flywheels but did not find anything there wrong.

Date: 12/01/11 08:38
Author: grahamline

Sounds like the trailing units are running slightly faster than the GEVO. Have you tried using speed-matching tables in Decorder Pro?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0412 seconds