Home Open Account Help 364 users online

Model Railroading > G Scale railroads on posts above ground

Date: 01/06/12 18:44
G Scale railroads on posts above ground
Author: tehachap

I thought I saw an article on building a G scale layout on posts recently, but now that I want to read it again, I can't find it. Has anyone on this board either built their layout on posts or seen an article on it, or ???

I've heard several people talk about using CDX plywood on their outdoor layout. How stable is this plywood? Does it hold up under snow? We don't get a lot of snow, but we do get snow here in Tehachapi.

Thanks,
Bob
Tehachapi above Cable

Date: 01/06/12 19:08
Re: G Scale railroads on posts above ground
Author: LarryDoyle

Current issue, February 2012, Garden Railways, p 23.

-Larry Doyle

Date: 01/06/12 19:27
Author: BCutter

CDX plywood is the shorthand for sheathing grade plywood in the old days! C grade face veneer and D grade back veneer with an exterior (waterproof) glue. Even with a waterproof glue, it eventually will breakdown, more than likely by the action of the Mother Nature on the veneers themselves. If you use it in a location where you have termites or wood-rotting fungi (and that's most of the Lower 48!) you need to make sure moisture can't accumulate in joints and crevices. Regular coats of a good quality stain will prolong it's life.

Bruce

Date: 01/07/12 00:21
Author: up833

Here in the PNW we can get 4x8 sheets of 3/4" pressure treated plywood. Dark greenish color. With supports it should do ok and with the sheets you could cut sections of curves. I had so much trouble with moles and other varmits I was thinking of the post and beam approach. Back fill with dirt or rock in places to make it more natural.
Roger B

Date: 01/07/12 03:49
Author: tehachap

Thanks for all of the replies. Our previous G scale railroad (in San Diego), "The Sunset Pacific Ry.," had 2"x12" redwood walls, 3'-4' high, filled with 3/4" aggregate and DG. Here in Tehachapi, we have trouble with moles and ground squirrels (notwithstanding the snow in winter) so needed to find an alternative for construction.

I haven't seen pressure treated plywood locally. Will have to do some research on that. Thanks!

Bob
Tehachapi Above Cable

Date: 01/07/12 05:16
Author: BCutter

Just speculatin' but...if you wanted to go for "real authenticty", get some coal, coke it, capture the smoke (creosote), and mix the creosote with a suitable petroleum-based solvent. Now build a G-scale treating cylinder and pressure treat your wood with creosote! Of course since you live in California, you might have a few problems but what the hay...it would smell realistic!!

Bruce

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/12 07:36 by BCutter.

Date: 01/07/12 07:29
Author: calsubd

Why not use used RR ties for Verticles and Pressure treated for horizontals ?, Ed

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0628 seconds