Home Open Account Help 318 users online

Model Railroading > ATSF models

Date: 04/23/12 05:47
ATSF models
Author: Renzypaul

Forum,

Thought I'd throw this out and see what you guys know...I'm wondering if anyone makes a "correct" version of Santa Fe CE-8 wide-vision cabooses? I haven't seen any models of this type anywhere on-line, at least as far as I can tell.
Also, how hard-to-find are Athearn U-33-C RTR's to find these days? Looking to kitbash one and make a correct version of an ATSF SF30C, if that's even possible.

Date: 04/23/12 07:30
Re: ATSF models
Author: MrMRL

Overland Model Imports produced (HO scale) brass CE-8s around 10 years ago. To see photos of the model click the link...

http://www.brasstrains.com/Classic/Product/Detail/037180/HO-OMI-4212-2-Overland-ATSF-Santa-Fe-CE-8-Caboose-999717-w--Interior-Lights

Mr. MRL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/12 07:31 by MrMRL.

Date: 04/23/12 07:46
Author: highgreengraphics

An Athearn U33C is going to be a lot of work, as the hood was made too wide, to accept the low-tech motors of the time. A very long, large linear cut would be necessary that would have to be done nearly perfect, then you have to patch it all up and worry about how the running boards look. I think a better starting point might be an Atlas U33C, which already has the correct-width hood, and better running-gear to boot. They can be had readily on Ebay. === === = === JLH

Date: 04/23/12 09:34
Author: ntharalson

MrMRL Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Overland Model Imports produced (HO scale) brass
> CE-8s around 10 years ago. To see photos of the
> model click the link...
>
> Mr. MRL

I have one of these, but painted for road service,
not transfer as this one is. (Perhaps instead for
NYC/PC/Conrail pool sercvice?) A beautiful model
that I'm not selling. If you can find one, it's
worth the money.

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

Date: 04/23/12 10:33
Author: bioyans

Renzypaul Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Forum,
>
> Thought I'd throw this out and see what you guys
> know...I'm wondering if anyone makes a "correct"
> version of Santa Fe CE-8 wide-vision cabooses? I
> haven't seen any models of this type anywhere
> on-line, at least as far as I can tell.
> Also, how hard-to-find are Athearn U-33-C RTR's to
> find these days? Looking to kitbash one and make
> a correct version of an ATSF SF30C, if that's even
> possible.

For the CE-8, right now Overland is your only choice for a correct model. That may change in the near future, as I've seen artwork for a high-quality plastic ATSF wide vision waycar ... but the details on who is doing it, and when to expect it remain a mystery (the manufacturer name was blanked out of the artwork, as to not divulge who is working on it).

As far as the SF30C goes, Kaslo shops is working on a resin body kit for it. It is still a ways out, but the mover behind the project is a member here on Trainorders. Do a search for all dates for "SF30C" in this forum, and you should be able to find information on the Kaslo project and add your name to the list of people who have said they will buy them when they are produced.

Date: 04/23/12 11:16
Author: alamode

The Kaslo SF30C project is about a year away -- there are two other projects in the Kaslo pipeline ahead of it. If anyone is interested in the project and hasn't contact me yet about it please PM me.

Date: 04/24/12 06:30
Author: atsfmodeler

I have a total of 10 of the brass wide visions, all customl painted. Great model for its time, but getting a little long in the tooth for 2012. I too would like to see a Genesis quality wide vision. I do have quite a few ATSF waycars since I model the ATSF in Oklahoma in 1989 and decided I wanted to keep waycars running on my version of Santa Fe. They actually provide a service since my layout is three decks, all connected, and with a lot of hidden running. Having the "red caboose" on the end of the trains helps ensure that you haven't lost part of the train when it emerges. "That's my story and I'm stickin to it." The rest of the caboose "fleet" on my Santa Fe are the ready built cars from Intermountain.

Bob

Bob Miller
Kansas City, KS

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0909 seconds