Home Open Account Help 228 users online

Model Railroading > A-Line Twin Stack SP Versi-Tainer

Date: 05/12/12 17:58
A-Line Twin Stack SP Versi-Tainer
Author: Chad

Does anyone know when these cars were put into service? Another thing I noticed is the three cars in the center have written on them "Do Not Load 20 Foot Containers". Was that because of construction method? I have a set and an just curious.

Thanks,

Date: 05/12/12 18:10
Re: A-Line Twin Stack SP Versi-Tainer
Author: tracktime

IIRC it was about 1986 or so that the Gunderson Twin-Stacks for SP showed up. The middle wells are marked "do not load 20ft Containers" because the trucks between the articulated sections could not take on the added weight of the often heavier 20ft containers initially. Later designs marked "125T" could accommodate 20 footers in the C/D/E wells.

Feel free to correct this as needed, but this is from my dim memory banks.

Cheers,
Harry

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/12 18:12 by tracktime.

Date: 05/12/12 18:26
Author: Chad

Thanks Harry, that is exactly what I needed.

Enjoy your weekend.

Date: 05/12/12 18:28
Author: toledopatch

The reason for the 20-footer placement is correct.

Date: 05/12/12 19:08
Author: TCnR

What's the secret to making these guys run for more than a few laps? I have the I-Mtn assembled run, somedays the plastic 'screen' on the bottom hangs up on frogs, sometimes the lead well derails on a curve due to the weight of the train behind, last week the I-Mtn multi-piece trucks exploded. Seems like a truck issue but would like to hear any ideas.
tia.

Date: 05/12/12 19:24
Author: toledopatch

TCnR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What's the secret to making these guys run for
> more than a few laps? I have the I-Mtn assembled
> run, somedays the plastic 'screen' on the bottom
> hangs up on frogs, sometimes the lead well derails
> on a curve due to the weight of the train behind,
> last week the I-Mtn multi-piece trucks exploded.
> Seems like a truck issue but would like to hear
> any ideas.
> tia.

I replaced all my Intermountain multi-piece trucks with solid ones a long time ago. They sent me free replacements.

Date: 05/14/12 07:04
Author: Mopac3240

I replace the wheelsets as needed, also try weight in the bottom container. I use lead shot and white glue. Fill up floor piece of forty foot containers, let it dry completely overnight. This helps them track well. I really love the IM cars, I remember seeing them on the sunset route when they first came out. I weight all my bottom containers, and run long trains of 80-90 platforms, and do not have any problems with them. It is impractical to expect a light car at the head of a heavy train to not derail, and it can be very frustrating, but it has an easy and inexpensive fix. Hope that helps!!
Chris

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0441 seconds