Home Open Account Help 338 users online

Model Railroading > Modernized Trucks?

Date: 05/22/12 19:02
Modernized Trucks?
Author: funnelfan

I'm wondering if someone sells a aftermarket set of freightcar trucks that is the old style solid bearing, but modernized with roller bearings and the doors to the bearing boxes removed? Love to put something like that on the Atlas Hart ballast car I just picked up. If not, I might attempt to make a set.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/12 19:03 by funnelfan.

Date: 05/22/12 19:33
Re: Modernized Trucks?
Author: rehunn

That would also be the version truck that SP used under the beet hoppers. They had roller
drop ins with the doors off.

Date: 05/22/12 19:38
Author: Fredo

MDC Roundhouse made these trucks just like you asked about. I don't know if they are still available.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/12 23:13 by Fredo.

Date: 05/22/12 19:54
Author: PHall

Fredo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> MDC Roundhouse made these trucks just like you
> asked about. I don't know if the are still
> available.

They stopped making those when Athearn/Horizon took over.

Date: 05/22/12 23:12
Author: fbe

They were also available in Canada under a different name though it looks like the same dies were used to cast both brands. The GN had a number of freight cars with this modified trucks. I don't think I ever saw any in stock in the US but could get them special order when needed. The trucks were cast with the recessessed roller bearings and separate lids for the friction bearings which you could attach to the journals to make them look the way the trucks came from the factory.

Date: 05/23/12 04:16
Author: TCnR

We had a surge in the era of 50ft cars (ie the PC&F cars, Railbox & IPD cars) and retro-fitted trucks as described, but the market seems to have moved to the more modern era of 60 ft cars, inter-modal and modern techno-deseasels. After-market trucks seem to be hard to find sometimes, some shops have a stash and most don't. Another interesting move in the hobby market.

I'd buy a load of the retro-fitted friction bearing trucks as well, if they ran decent. Interesting to note the free-rolling wheels and trucks have made a big change in the ops sessions, both good and bad as some of the downhill trains have that surging and bunching thing going on with the new wheelsets.

Date: 05/23/12 05:36
Author: Lighter

Trains Canada makes them. http://www.trainscanada.ca/page10.html
I don't know who distributes in USA or if they do international orders.

Date: 05/23/12 07:09
Author: funnelfan

Thanks for pointing that out. I put a order in for 5 sets of the frames only at $2 each.

Lighter Wrote:
> Trains Canada makes them.
> http://www.trainscanada.ca/page10.html
> I don't know who distributes in USA or if they do
> international orders.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 05/23/12 13:54
Author: pennsypower

Eastern Car Works, status unknown for several years, also made these trucks.

Paul B.

Date: 05/23/12 15:59
Author: Lighter

I have a few of each the TC and the ECW trucks. The TC have a better rendition of the arch and the bearings. The ECW have spring clusters for both 50 and 70 ton versions and are a bit more delicate in appearance. But the bearings look goofy to me and the arch really needs a house car to bury it in shadow. Both will be used. I hope!

Date: 05/23/12 18:08
Author: rschonfelder

Lighter Wrote:
> I have a few of each the TC and the ECW trucks.
> The TC have a better rendition of the arch and the
> bearings. The ECW have spring clusters for both
> 50 and 70 ton versions and are a bit more delicate
> in appearance. But the bearings look goofy to me
> and the arch really needs a house car to bury it
> in shadow. Both will be used. I hope!

I have some of the Trains Canada versions and to be honest, they are dated. I would think there is a market for a "Tahoe Model Works" quality level of these trucks.

Too bad this guy wouldn't jump in with an interest into presenting more modern product.

Rick

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0856 seconds