Home Open Account Help 333 users online

Model Railroading > BLMA Searchlight Signal Heads

Date: 06/21/12 15:53
BLMA Searchlight Signal Heads
Author: dgraves

I have purchased BLMA item #4001, searchlight signal heads. The instructions say that the max voltage is 2.2 volts. Anyone know what size of resister would be needed if I hook these up to a 12V power supply?

Date: 06/21/12 18:02
Re: BLMA Searchlight Signal Heads
Author: 1stcajon

Get their phone # of website & give Craig a call. Have had good experiences getting problems solved that way.

Date: 06/21/12 18:45
Author: mongo

what is the current draw on the signal. if you know this it is a simple calculation. voltage=current times resistance. you will need to drop 10V. so you would divide 10V by the current draw and that will give you the size resister you will need. Basic electronics.

Mongo

Date: 06/21/12 20:02
Author: barrydraper

1000 ohms. Also called 1K ohms, brown, black, red & gold or silver stripes. One resistor can be used on the common positive wire if only one LED is lit at a time. This isn't rocket science!

Barry Draper

For those that want to do the calculation themselves it (supply volts -2.2)/ .01 = resistance needed for a nice bright 10ma though the LED.

Date: 06/22/12 04:17
Author: CR4103

Haha not rocket science, right and my parents vcr is flashing 12:00. For the last 10 years. Yes i said vcr!

Posted from Android

Date: 06/22/12 07:37
Author: NdeM

barrydraper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...This isn't rocket science!

Wow, thanks for the positive note! Not everyone studies electronics and physics for fun.

Date: 06/22/12 15:06
Author: espeesGeeps

I Believe Those searchlight signals run 3 LED's, Red, yellow, Green so you would need 3 resistors one for each LED. Good luck on your Signal Project

Date: 06/24/12 06:43
Author: ATSFSD26

Actually Barry,
Given the organisation that posted Ohm's Law information on the following website, it might just be rocket science (VBG)
http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/Sample_Projects/Ohms_Law/ohmslaw.html
cheers
Dave
(Seriously, I agree with you. These are basic formulae that model railroaders should learn and know)

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0281 seconds