Home Open Account Help 335 users online

Model Railroading > Turntable help

Date: 07/09/12 18:18
Turntable help
Author: JLWII2000

As some of you know from a previous post, I am in the early stages of installing a turntable on one end of my layout. I will be using a # 6 left hand turnout coming from the inside main line (right of the picture) to create a 22 or 24 in curve into the turntable which will be in the area in front of the roundhouse. The problem I encountered is the 3 stall car shop. Is there any way of using the car shop? I can't get a 3 way turnout worked in there according to my measurements so I was thinking of running lines from where the turntable will be. Is that possible? Hopefully you get what I'm asking, I know I'm being about as clear as mud.....

Date: 07/09/12 18:29
Re: Turntable help
Author: barrydraper

From the photo it looks to me like, if you turn the car shop building so the center track lines up with the turntable, and keep it back from the table (like it is in the photo), then you should be able to curve the outside tracks enough to also line up with the turntable. So, the car shop would use three "slots" in the turntable alignment. If you table is long enough a shop goat and a car might fit on the table together. Otherwise you could use car pullers (Winches and cables) in the car shop to move cars in and out. Modeling and operating car puller has been done, but........... I don't what to try that!

Barry Draper

Date: 07/09/12 18:47
Author: TomCarter

Sounds like a good use for a Trackmobile. That'd be cool and prototypical in a lot of shops.

Date: 07/09/12 19:47
Author: rehunn

The other more exotic means would be that if you've got a piece of straight rail off the
table on the right side you could almost install a transfer table and align the shop to
it.

Date: 07/09/12 22:10
Author: ATSFSD26

An alternative would be to move the LH turnout back down the main (out of picture to the right).
Rotate the backshop anticlockwise, so it is parallel to the main (and the backdrop).
Then use either a #4 Y or whatever lines up best to direct one track through a 3 way/transfer table (that would look way cool located between the turntable and the main)into the backshop, while the LH leg of the #4 or whatever you use serves the turntable.
Variation on a theme.
cheers
Dave

Date: 07/10/12 14:33
Author: WrongWayMurphy

Kind of odd that a loke would come off the table right onto the main line.

Isn't there another way for it to get to/from his train ?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0467 seconds