Home Open Account Help 296 users online

Model Railroading > TCS Project on my RR

Date: 11/07/12 19:01
TCS Project on my RR
Author: TRACKENGR

I model Conrail between Easton PA and Reading PA. The era is 1996. In developing the operations plan, it became apparent that the RR would not work well unless I had bi-directional traffic capabilities between Burn (west end of Allentown (PA) yard), and Alburtis (about halfway between Allentown Yard and Reading. So, using modelers license, I decided to "install" a TCS program between said two locations.

Conrail's standard signal in my era was the "G" Style Signal. When I started my work, I fell in love with the Atlas G signal. However, as time has progressed, I was introduced to a custom signal guy from UT who does some fantastic work. Anyway, the attached photos show some progress. The "story" is that the C&S department ordered the signals as mast/ wayside signals. However, after they were installed, it became obvious that the sight distance was not sufficient due to the nearby Susquehanna St overhead bridge. The C&S department was embarrassed by this error, and was forced to replace the mast / wayside signals with a cantilever structure. (This actually happened on a project I worked on for a class 1 that shall remain un-named).

Anyway, Photo 1: pedestal still in service with cantilever constructed (sorry, I couldn't figure out how to bag the signals.

Photo 2: Cantilever in service and pedestal OOS (again, no bags)

For you signal purest out there, I switched from 2 to 3 heads as I realized I needed an approach slow aspect, and I liked the yellow-red-green as opposed to the yellow-yellow.

Hope you enjoy, Steve

Date: 11/07/12 19:16
Re: TCS Project on my RR
Author: toledopatch

TRACKENGR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The "story" is that the C&S department ordered the
> signals as mast/ wayside signals. However, after
> they were installed, it became obvious that the
> sight distance was not sufficient due to the
> nearby Susquehanna St overhead bridge. The C&S
> department was embarrassed by this error, and was
> forced to replace the mast / wayside signals with
> a cantilever structure. (This actually happened on
> a project I worked on for a class 1 that shall
> remain un-named).

CSX pulled off this stunt at CP-LIBERTY at the new North Baltimore, Ohio intermodal facility, although I don't think sight distance was the issue. The CP-LIBERTY signals are on the yard leads only, where they merge from two tracks to one, with two main tracks immediately adjacent to the left heading east. The two eastward signals there were initially ground masts to the left and right, but the one on the left was also fairly close to being to the right of No. 2 main.... which was a really bad idea. Before the facility opened, they were replaced by a right-hand cantilever.

Date: 11/07/12 19:49
Author: wheel_slip

Yikes!!!!!!!!! An approach signal into improperly lined crossovers??? Oh No!!! Just busting your chops, dude... Cool signals..

Andy

Date: 11/07/12 20:24
Author: TRACKENGR

Hey, I thought the same, however, it is a color shift. Notice the light position.

Thanks for taking interest, Steve

Date: 11/07/12 21:44
Author: SantaFeRuss

Nice!!

SantaFeRuss

Date: 11/08/12 06:08
Author: wheel_slip

TRACKENGR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey, I thought the same, however, it is a color
> shift. Notice the light position.
>
> Thanks for taking interest, Steve

oooops!!! I just noticed the colors... Upon further review... Still... Cool signals.

Andy

Date: 11/08/12 08:07
Author: tomstp

For the pictures: you should have covered the signal heads not in use with a sack!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0564 seconds