Home Open Account Help 357 users online

Model Railroading > IAIS Benchwork Progress/What did YOU get done this week

Date: 11/25/12 20:35
IAIS Benchwork Progress/What did YOU get done this week
Author: bnsfsd70

Well, unfortunately, this five day weekend has come to an end. However, I was able to get a good amount of work done on my new, modular N-scale layout based on the Iowa Interstate and Metra in my Dad's hometown of New Lenox, IL. Originally, I had wanted to build Blue Island, but space and time considerations came into play, making this implausible. New Lenox, however, offers much of the same traffic in a much more manageable space.

The layout is 3'x10', and will simply feature a pair of loops for continuous running, but it's main purpose is to be able to build something to bring to shows, and to showcase the new releases from Fox Valley Models (GEVO's), Deluxe Innovations (well cars) and Kato (Metra), while building my own skills in a new scale. Did I mention I have a Kato UP dining car on its way to paint up as the "Abraham Lincoln?"

Photo 1: A very early mock-up of the layout, with Cedar Road in the middle, and elevator/original depot to the right, and the site of the current Metra depot at the left.

Photo 2: Clamping down the frame sides after gluing and screwing them into place.

Photo 3: As far as I made it this weekend, finishing up all of the module frames and the pockets for the legs. Work on the legs will come soon.

Enjoy,
- Jeff Carlson

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/12 20:38 by bnsfsd70.

Date: 11/26/12 05:58
Re: IAIS Benchwork Progress/What did YOU get done this
Author: mdeberg

Jeff, Looks like a fantastic start.

Mike DeBerg
Bloomington, IL

Date: 11/26/12 07:43
Author: rehunn

I like your pockets for the legs and assembly techniques, definite sign that there's more than one
way to skin a cat.

Date: 11/26/12 07:54
Author: nikon1

Looks good so far Jeff. Just one question, why the use of underfloor laminate?
Charlie
MP 53 on the BNSF Topeka Sub

Date: 11/26/12 08:33

nikon1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Looks good so far Jeff. Just one question, why the
> use of underfloor laminate?
> Charlie
> MP 53 on the BNSF Topeka Sub

Its lightweight and gave me a solid top to screw into the frame for structural stability. There will be a layer of insulation foam laminated on top of this for scenery as well.

- Jeff

Date: 11/26/12 08:36

rehunn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I like your pockets for the legs and assembly
> techniques, definite sign that there's more than
> one
> way to skin a cat.

Thanks. I'm not entirely won over by it right now, but it'll do. I spent a LOT of time thinking through various leg ideas, and this seemed to work out the best, I think. On the leg assemblies, I'll have a horizontal and a diagonal cross brace for stability.

- Jeff Carlson

Date: 12/01/12 23:21
Author: jridge

Have you posted your track plan for these modules?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0652 seconds