Home Open Account Help 190 users online

Model Railroading > rubber band drives

Date: 11/27/12 15:01
rubber band drives
Author: bubbawv

Need to know if anyone knows where I can pick up some new drive rubber bands for a bachman locomotive? I have a friend of mine that has an old F7A model with the rubber bands have gone. Thanks

Date: 11/27/12 15:31
Re: rubber band drives
Author: EH49

My bet would be it is a Athearn. Never knew that Bachmann used rubber band drive.

Date: 11/27/12 15:33
Author: rehunn

Staples, Office Depot, I think most of us who ever had like the Athearn version just used regular rubber bands.
If you've got the band intact and have a Fastenal nearby then an "O ring" would make a more suitable replacement.
Get a 70 (not a 90) durometer ring and they should work fine.

Date: 11/27/12 18:48
Author: fbe

Pay attention at swap meets and you can probably buy a lightly used F7 from Athearn to repower the antique for a reasonable price.

Posted from Windows Phone OS 7

Date: 11/27/12 19:59
Author: Tony_Cook

Agree with other poster, to my knowledge Bachmann utilized traction tires at one time on drives, never any actual rubber band drive. The first Bachmann F9 drive in HO-scale is all-wheel driven, later a single truck pancake drive, and today its a good all-wheel drive.

If its the black bands or traction tires around wheels, I would suggest Calument Trains' Super Traction Tire Assortment - TYCO Traction Tires pkg (20) FOR $6.95. Many hobby shops carry them. I know my local shop, Doc's Caboose in Kansas City (www.docscaboose.com) usually has these in stock. I would guess replacing Bachmann F9 traction tires with ones made in this set labeled for TYCO might work.

Here's a link to Walthers and info: http://www.walthers.com/exec/search?category=&scale=&manu=&item=&keywords=traction+tires&words=restrict&instock=Q&split=30&Submit=Search

Date: 11/27/12 20:34
Author: wlindsays

The Athern rubber band drives need very small bands.
I get them from an Orthodontist. They are used in children's braces,
The drives are poor at best but I show it off for historical interest.
I like the suggestion of replacing the drive with a new gear unit if you are running anything.
Lindsay Smith

Date: 11/28/12 09:12
Author: Tony_Cook

If you check, you'll find Athearn still stocks and sells this classic part...

Athearn Drive Belts (24 per package)
(#90101; MSRP: $3.98)

Here's a link:

http://www.athearn.com/Search/Default.aspx?CatId=THCR&SearchTerm=90101

Date: 11/28/12 09:50
Author: bubbawv

Thanks for the quick replys I haven't seen the loco but it probably is what you all said it was an althern

Date: 11/28/12 15:52
Author: lirrman

I believe Bachmann may have used an adaption of a rubber band drive on locomotives like the Light Mountaion 4-8-2 that was issued about 10 or 15 years ago. The band was actually a belt with cogs on the I.D.

Date: 12/24/12 08:35
Author: cabman

Why would anyone bother with these things? The loco usually ran at unrealistic high speed and jerky. Spend a little more at a train show and enjoy life!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.2312 seconds