Home Open Account Help 309 users online

Model Railroading > Vern Cole Passes-- The Trainshop owner

Date: 11/29/12 20:21
Vern Cole Passes-- The Trainshop owner
Author: KeyRouteKen

Vern Cole, founder of the Trainshop in Santa Clara passed away Nov. 23rd. Those of us who frequented Trainshop over the past 30+ years
will remember him fondly as a major supporter of our railroad addictions.

The long link below is to an online obituary:

http://obits.dignitymemorial.com/dignity-memorial/obituary.aspx?n=Vernon-Cole&lc=7060&pid=161200736&mid=5317788&Affiliate=mercurynews&PersonID=161200736&FHID=11165

KRK

Date: 11/29/12 21:17
Re: Vern Cole Passes-- The Trainshop owner
Author: Westbound

In 1976 I first met Vern at his old hobby shop in San Jose. Always pleasant and patient. His first wife was his assistant there and a joy to encounter. If you were an SP modeler and they did not have it - you didn't need it!

His was always my favorite hobby shop in the Bay Area (and there were several nice ones). One memory that stands out was the sunny day I arrived in the 1990s and found him standing alone outside his store taking a break. We visited for a time and he told me he had once been a model railroader and was gradually building an HO model of the SP Daylight train using MHP kits. He was getting frustrated working on one of the cars and thought to himself "Why am I doing this? I don't need this as a hobby. I work with model railroading in my store all the time". So he stopped. But he did like trains and knew his business. He will be missed.

Date: 11/30/12 00:16
Author: Harlock

A long history with us in the South Bay. My dad and I have been dropping in since it was at the old place.

Would see Mike Kotowski etc. there frequently...the place had its regulars.

I assume Dennis will remain in charge. Condolences to the family.

--M

Mike Massee
Tehachapi, CA
Photography, Railroading and more..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/12 00:23 by Harlock.

Date: 11/30/12 10:41
Author: swsf

Harlock Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A long history with us in the South Bay. My dad
> and I have been dropping in since it was at the
> old place.
>
> Would see Mike Kotowski etc. there
> frequently...the place had its regulars.
>
> I assume Dennis will remain in charge.
> Condolences to the family.
>
> --M

Dennis has been in charge for several years after Vern retired. The shop appears to being doing well.

Date: 11/30/12 10:56
Author: GN_X838

Fond memories, I don't know what year I was first (1988?) in the old store. Every time I was sent to the Bay area for a school I visited and bought something. My wife almost max out our VISA on her last visit.

Date: 11/30/12 13:50
Author: tunnelrat

I have missed Vern for the past couple years. He not only enjoyed talking about trains, he was also a wealth of knowledge about the Santa Clara Valley and it's agricultural past. He was a very easy man to talk to, we often talked about the wholesale produce business, a common interest. Vern will be greatly missed by many people.

Date: 11/30/12 14:05
Author: rehunn

Count me on the group missing Vern. We used to hit the Silicon Valley for computer stuff in it's infancy
but never missed a chance to stop by and see Vern. For all the negative things said about unfriendly people
in other shops he was always much the opposite. As for Dennis, he's carrying on quite nicely.

Date: 11/30/12 16:52
Author: mrsaxtonsr

I've been going to the Train Shop for 30+ years and followed it through two moves to its current location on Pruneridge at Winchester in Santa Clara. I bought my first N-gauge Brass U50 from Vern back when the shop was on Stevens Creek, and back then just a whole in the wall. It's been nice to see them grow over the years into the best shop with the best people in the Bay Area. I'm very sorry to hear of Vern's passing. It's almost like loosing family, he will be missed . My condolences to Dennis and his family.

Date: 11/30/12 18:29
Author: tracktime

Vern was a kind and gentle man who truly cared personally for his customers. Outside of being a great shop owner, he'd always be willing to share fatherly advice (!) for those that would listen. His presence will always be remembered.

With Much Kind Respect & Good Memories,
Harry K. Wong

Date: 12/02/12 11:35
Author: swsf

tracktime Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Vern was a kind and gentle man who truly cared
> personally for his customers. Outside of being a
> great shop owner, he'd always be willing to share
> fatherly advice (!) for those that would listen.
> His presence will always be remembered.
>
> With Much Kind Respect & Good Memories,
> Harry K. Wong

I particularly liked his sense of humor. He always shared a joke every time I visited the shop, and always enjoyed hearing a new one. He truely was one of the good guys.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0521 seconds