Home Open Account Help 339 users online

Model Railroading > Caboose Industries ground throw

Date: 12/13/12 21:59
Caboose Industries ground throw
Author: johns

I would like to install a number of Caboose Industries ground throws, the one with power routing contacts (part # 220S).

The instructions are clear describing assembly but I'm finding that the "keeper" or pocket cover that should lock in the bronze contact spring will not "lock" into the pocket on the throw bar. In addition, the assembly that contains the three metal contacts that wire leads will attach to does not lock tightly into the base, therefore failing to make positive contact with the bronze spring.
Although use of CA is not included in the instructions to secure these two parts, it seems this will be necessary.

I hope to hear from someone who has assembled some of these and can tell me what I'm doing wrong or what you did to make these work. I haven't yet contacted Caboose Industries for advise but will if no one responds.

Thanks,

john

Date: 12/14/12 08:15
Re: Caboose Industries ground throw
Author: aehouse

John,

I have used CAboose Industries ground throws for almost 20 years and over the course of three railroads. The unit you mention, the one with contacts, is the only one of their products with which I have found fault. I found them difficult to install and maintain, and the mechanical linkages (and hence the electrical connectivity) of the units did not stand up well to regular use. I use dozens of their regular spring ground throws and have never had a problem, but those electrical contact units are no longer on my layouts.

Art House
Gettysburg, Pa

Date: 12/14/12 12:55
Re: Caboose Industries ground throw
Author: sou2601

I use the 224S (N scale, Code 55) version on my layout. Yes, it's a pain in the butt to assemble, and getting the little copper piece to sit correctly in place can be irritating, but once you snap the cover into place, it's been fine for me. If you're having trouble, I would advise turning the cover around, over, etc to see if it will snap in better for you.

-Eric

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0565 seconds