Home Open Account Help 330 users online

Model Railroading > Digitrax DCC problem

Date: 12/16/12 17:44
Digitrax DCC problem
Author: johns

I have a larger layout, a double main around the basement, each about 128 ft in length. Because of the size, I've added a booster (DB150) to my command station, a DCS100. I've been operating in this fashion for about 2 yrs without any problems. Throttle is a DT400 which is tethered.

Today I was testing an engine that had just been repaired and had something happen that I can't figure out. On the side of the layout controlled by the DCS100, the engine runs fine but when I hit the gaped rails into track work handled by the booster, there is a noticeable speed increase. I've powered down the system a few times and this continues to happen. I then checked voltage to the rails using an older analog multimeter. On the section powered by the command station, it reads 15 volts. On the side covered by the DB150, it reads 16 volts or just a little less. As we know, output of this equipment should be 15 volts max.

I was wondering if too few track feeders might play into this? I tend to lay track but haven't kept up, so far, with feeders off the bus wires, especially on the side covered by the booster. I did just finish laying about 15 ft of track on the side handled by the booster.

I've also made sure that I haven't left anything on the rails that would cause a short.

I hope someone has a solution.

john

Date: 12/16/12 18:42
Re: Digitrax DCC problem
Author: sou2601

I have a Zephyr, but based on reading your description of the problem, it sounds like the DB150 is putting out higher voltage (obviously). I do know that the DB150 and DCS100's have toggle switches on the front of them to select a particular scale, which dictates voltage. Double-check to be sure that both are set the same. I also found this manual on the Digitrax Website: http://www.digitrax.com/static/apps/products/command-stations-boosters/db150/documents/SuperEmpireBuilderXtra.pdf Page 36-37 informs you how to tweak the voltage settings in the boxes (7.8.1)

Hope this helps!

-Eric

Date: 12/16/12 20:01
Re: Digitrax DCC problem
Author: johns

Eric:
Thanks for responding. No, I hadn't changed the scale settings (HO) so that wasn't the problem.

I did post this at trainorders.com and someone there suggested doing a "reset" of the DB150. That solved the speed up problem. I then checked track voltage again with my multimeter and its the same, 15 for the DCS100 and about 16 for the DB150. I was about to look for that voltage tweeking info from Digitrax and you've saved me some time not having to search for it so thanks for that as well.

john

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0383 seconds