Home Open Account Help 220 users online

Model Railroading > Controlling DCC throttle from a remote location

Date: 02/07/13 13:00
Controlling DCC throttle from a remote location
Author: Casselton

Maybe a silly question, but I'll ask anyway. Has anyone controlled a DCC throttle remotely on a layout from an off-site location? I was thinking along the lines of using JMRI with GoToMeeting (or similar program) and taking control of the computer/JMRI remotely. I'm talking about controlling a train in another state. My nephew has a series of network cameras on his layout, so I should be able to view the train. With the network bandwidth available, you can do almost anything remotely, with very little latency.

Date: 02/07/13 14:52
Re: Controlling DCC throttle from a remote location
Author: SlwApprSlw

In theory, this would work. Most DCC systems today allow for some kind of computer interface with DCC system using JMRI. If you are using a Windows OS, the remote desktop could be used to access the computer. This would take some work to get it setup. As far as using GoToMeeting to access the computer, I could not tell you how this could be done. I have not used this program.

Internet lag (latency) is the only draw back to the remote control idea. If you try to stop the train, it may take a second or two to stop (or start). This would be needed to be test to see if this would be a serious issue. (Reason for the conclusion: I've noticed this issue talking to someone in the next room using using Voice over IP. There was about a 3 second difference in the conversation. This could have a similar effect on JMRI.)

As far as documented usage of JMRI remotely, I have not seen any case yet. If anyone know of one, please post the link.

Cass Telles
"Slow-Approach-Slow" - 'Go by way of the B&O'
Railroads of NW Ohio
http://www.trainweb.org/rrnwoh
My photostream on Flickr - http://www.flickr.com/photos/ctelles/

Date: 02/07/13 15:30
Author: TCnR

Web broadcast from your in-cab camera and you're all set.

Haven't seen a real time in-cab camera though, they've been clunker's with a radio transmitter but no known web interface or a small camera with a memory stick interface (lots of latency). Maybe some of the wireless security cameras could be identified for this.

Date: 02/07/13 18:23
Author: Larry020

At the club http://www.gsmrm.org/ the N scale layout was
remotely dispatched from Australia, and we're not in Australia.

Like a real locomotive, you'll want a way for the engine to stop
itself if no throttle comand has been received after x number of
seconds. Also setting a maximum speed seems in order.

Have fun!

Larry

Date: 02/07/13 21:49
Author: Casselton

I am going to check out some options. Remote desktop should work, but I'll need to do a little research. Thanks - Mark

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0555 seconds