Home Open Account Help 234 users online

Model Railroading > Dropping Ballast <updated>

Date: 02/22/13 17:12
Dropping Ballast <updated>
Author: MrMRL

< See update below for progress photos... >

Just having a little fun here. A scene I set up a few days ago while ballasting a new section of the club layout. The N&W hopper is an old MDC kit that was donated by a fellow club member, I heavily weathered it and patched it as part of the California Southern Lines fleet. The ballast is Fine Buff by Woodlands Scenics. The section crew is very shy, hence why everyone hid out of view while I took the photos.

Mr. MRL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/13 22:55 by MrMRL.

Date: 02/22/13 17:15
Re: Dropping Ballast

This next section is now being prepped for ground cover, before the track (covered in blue painters tape) will also be ballasted.

Mr. MRL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/13 17:30 by MrMRL.

Date: 02/22/13 17:40
Author: fbe

Don't forget to lay the tie across the rails against the rear truck to smooth and spread the ballast. It will really help out all those little guys in hiding.

Posted from Windows Phone OS 7

Date: 02/22/13 17:49
Author: imrl

Where's the little HO scale Kershaw ballast regulator and Harsco 6700S production tamper.

Date: 02/22/13 18:09
Author: rehunn

Pretty nice looking for a club layout, lotsa clubs tend to be the result of discussions
between members over what should and shouldn't be done.

Date: 02/22/13 18:30

rehunn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Pretty nice looking for a club layout, lotsa clubs
> tend to be the result of discussions
> between members over what should and shouldn't be
> done.

Trust me, we still have them. Case in point, this particular section of the layout was originally scheduled to be receive ballast in 2002 . . .

Mr. MRL - stuck in committee...

Date: 02/23/13 05:47
Author: 6088

Very nice... part of me would like to see that train moved, the excavator moved... and another train ran though at speed with a snow plow of some variety, even if just a snow plow pilot... hehe

Date: 02/23/13 22:37
Author: wpdude

Nice post, but I never met a shy section crew! :-)

Date: 02/23/13 22:54

Thanks for the comments folks, here's an update to the images from my second reply above...

Just an hour ago, we finished the ballast work on top of ground cover that was set in place on Thursday. Progress is being made!

Mr. MRL

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0505 seconds