Home Open Account Help 249 users online

Model Railroading > Model Railroader 75 Year DVD collection

Date: 02/26/13 00:40
Model Railroader 75 Year DVD collection
Author: JS_IN_KY

I'm considering purchasing the MR 75 Year DVD collection but it's a lot of money and I wonder if those of you that have bought or used it think it's worth it. Are the scans good quality? Does the search engine work well on it? Do you have the ability to print pages from it? If you can print and for example you printed a page with plans for a structure is it difficult to print them to the correct scale? For those of you that have used it for a while has it replaced your collection of magazines or do you still prefer going back to the paper copies from time to time? Thanks, John

Date: 02/26/13 01:34
Re: Model Railroader 75 Year DVD collection
Author: 3rdboxcar

I bought it and not regretted it. Yes you can print the pages. The newer editions are digital so quality is much better as some of the scans are not quite square. It may be me but I think the search facility is poor, it does not always find what you want. I have never tried printing to scale as I tend to print as big as possible and manually scale, so far that has worked ok.

Alexander

Date: 02/26/13 04:02
Author: BlackWidow

I thought everything was fine except the ability to index articles. YOu can find what you want, but your ability to store searches is limited. My goal was to go through the magazines and put in bookmarks, by category, for articles that interested me over the years so I could them quickly, but the ability to do that was limited and very clumsy. I bought mine back in 2011, so perhaps that is better now.

Date: 02/26/13 07:24
Author: aehouse

I'm keeping my magazines and not going to the DVDs (I have all the MRs back to 1940).

I have no assurance that the DVD format will remain current forever, or that the data on the medium will remain useable over time. I'm already having trouble with some of my older music CDs, and I'd hate to give up all that content, only to rely on a medium that may well be temporary given the pace of technology change these days.

Art House
Gettysburg, Pa.

Date: 02/26/13 07:51
Author: rehunn

But Art, you can be sure that it will be current until your DVD shows up in your mailbox.

Date: 02/26/13 13:20
Author: Larry020

I'm sure Kalmbach will be willing to sell us a copy on whatever
new format that will be popular years from now. In the mean
time our club library is getting ready to get rid of all of those
smelly old torn magazines that don't come with any kind of
search function at all.

Larry

Date: 02/26/13 13:38

Thanks for the info everyone. I got a discount code to get it from Walthers for 20% off so I guess I'll give one a try.
John

Date: 02/26/13 15:09
Author: mcdeo

Yes, thank you for asking this question as I too have been thinking of going digital and freeing up all of the space the paper is currently taking up.

Mike ONeill
Parker, CO

Date: 02/26/13 16:17
Author: Larry020

aehouse Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> (I have all the MRs back to 1940).
>

Will you be buying the "missing years" from someone going
"digital"? It will help someone with the cost, and in the future
you can tell us I told you so...

Larry

Date: 02/26/13 17:20
Author: 6088

So.. just curious.. how much is the DVDs?

Date: 02/26/13 21:14
Author: thehighwayman

6088 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So.. just curious.. how much is the DVDs?

Mine arrived in the mail just today .... $199 plus shipping

looking forward to loading them onto my main hard drive with a backup on an external drive was well.

Will MacKenzie
Dundas, ON

Date: 02/26/13 21:25
Author: tracktime

How sharp are the scans? Are the scans any better on the MR DVDs than the ones on the Trains Magazine DVDs?

Cheers,
Harry

Date: 02/26/13 21:32

The price on it is $199.95. I've never seen it discounted much below that price. I ordered today from Walthers using a 20% off discount code and got it shipped for free. That brought it down to $159.96. It still seems like a lot of money for it but hopefully it will be worth it.
John

Date: 02/28/13 11:49
Author: Casselton

Is that a one time/user only discount code or can someone else use the code? If possible to use, what is the discount code? Thanks

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0689 seconds