Home Open Account Help 366 users online

Model Railroading > accurail's new covered hopper

Date: 03/03/13 16:48
accurail's new covered hopper
Author: pmack

The Accurail website doesn't have much info, "New road names, specific paint schemes, and preproduction images to be added as they become available."

What I'd really like is a train of BN hoppers but in the 1990+ scheme which as far as I can tell is only on Trinity built cars. What are the differences between Pullman Standard 4750s and Trinity 4750s? Does anyone have more info on the Accurail 4750s?

Date: 03/03/13 17:10
Re: accurail's new covered hopper
Author: TCnR

First I'd heard of it:

http://accurail.com/accurail/6500.HTM

Two D&RGW builders photos only, paint schemes listed but no photos at this time. Where did this one come from? Is it AccuRail original or from somewhere else?

Date: 03/03/13 19:50
Author: drolsen

This is Accurail's own model. They showed test shots of the end ladders at a show last year, but no other components of the model yet. I think this is good for the hobby - the Tangent and Intermountain RTR models are pretty expensive, so this offers beginners and people who want a more affordable model a good option to have this very common car in their fleet.

Dave

Date: 03/03/13 20:03
Author: funnelfan

Really there is not much difference. The only thing that jumps out at me is the bolster/endwall side plates are much larger, beefier with lift holes. Those parts can be easily fashioned from styrene and added to the model. I count three different styles of those plates on the BN cars built during the 90's, but they are all similar to this car.

I do find it interesting that Accurail is going to offer the new model as a kit. I'm curious as to how thick the ladders and grabs will be and how they will be attached to the car. I'll be interested in acquiring a few, and will probably even modify them like I described above. I also have a couple of Intermountain kits I need to try it on.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/13 20:06 by funnelfan.

Date: 03/03/13 20:14
Author: unit

funnelfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Really there is not much difference. The only
> thing that jumps out at me is the bolster/endwall
> side plates are much larger, beefier with lift
> holes. Those parts can be easily fashioned from
> styrene and added to the model. I count three
> different styles of those plates on the BN cars
> built during the 90's, but they are all similar to
> this car.

Plano also makes the later Trinity style bolsters. Much easier than fabricating your own from styrene.

This announcement is pretty interesting to me, and I hope it does well for them. But unless Accurail can bring this thing to market for a price that dramatically undercuts Tangent and Intermountain, I am just not understanding why a company would choose to release yet another model of a PS 4750.

Date: 03/03/13 21:00
Author: pmack

unit Wrote:

> This announcement is pretty interesting to me, and
> I hope it does well for them. But unless Accurail
> can bring this thing to market for a price that
> dramatically undercuts Tangent and Intermountain,
> I am just not understanding why a company would
> choose to release yet another model of a PS 4750.

I've seen preorders for 6+ @ $12each. I think list is $18. That is the main things for me, as much as I'd like to a train of Tangents or even Intermountains is not in the budget. Not to mention, Accurails can stand being taken to shows.

Date: 03/03/13 21:04
Author: funnelfan

unit Wrote:
> Plano also makes the later Trinity style bolsters.

I went to their website, but couldn't find this part on there. Where did you see the part?

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 03/03/13 21:52
Author: unit

funnelfan Wrote:
> unit Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Plano also makes the later Trinity style
> bolsters.
>
> I went to their website, but couldn't find this
> part on there. Where did you see the part?

http://www.planomodelproducts.com/082.htm

Date: 03/04/13 05:20
Author: TCnR

I'm curious if Accurail is more likely to be a survivor in the MR market, compared to the curious marketing techniques and higher price point of the competitors? Definitely nice to have the option of building a kit.

Hmm, maybe watching the Bloomberg channel for the past two weeks is having an effect.

Date: 03/05/13 09:43
Author: SALGUY

While there are other models that need to be done and to me Accurail is already covering a model that has been done, I think that there is a market fot his car. There are those of us that do indeed purchase the IM and Tangent cars, I am one of them. But, there is also a market for this car amongst the budget limited modelers. If you look at Accurails 3 bay offset side hopper and their 41 ft. gon I think you will be looking at the level of detail that we can expect from this car. It really is pretty good for a car that is what is commonly called a shake the box kit.

Date: 03/05/13 14:28
Author: drolsen

I think, and hope, that there will always be a place in the hobby for Accurail kits. In my opinion, they are what Athearn Blue Box kits once were, but without the issues of coupler height, poor trucks, etc. They are perfect for beginners and budget conscious modelers. Any time I talk to someone starting off in the hobby (or their parents), I recommend Accurail kits. The only changes I used to make to them was to add metal wheelsets, use an Athearn 2-56 screw to secure the trucks, and drop some Kadees in. I'm a Tangent fan now, but I have fond memories of my Accurail models.

Dave

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.066 seconds