Home Open Account Help 307 users online

Model Railroading > Tru-Color Paint Compatibility

Date: 03/03/13 20:31
Tru-Color Paint Compatibility
Author: PhillipJohnson

I have a brass business car I'm trying to paint into SP Lark colors. I normally use Polly Scale paint on top of Tamiya gray primer. However SP Lark Light Gray is not available from PollyScale (weird as it is from sister company Floquil). I found on Tru-Color's website that they have the SP Lark Light Gray and Dark Gray as well as the Dark Olive SP used on heavyweight cars. Before buying any of this paint I'm curious if anyone knows how compatible it is with Polly Scale products like Satin/Flat finish. Tru-Color claims to dry high gloss for decaling, but I will want to dull it down afterwards.

Thanks!

Date: 03/03/13 21:04
Re: Tru-Color Paint Compatibility
Author: arwye

Phillip:
Tru-Color paint is acetone based. This is basically the old Accu-paint line, jacked up for more gloss. My experience is that for best results you must use the whole system. That means their primer, as well as their satin finish after decalling. It may not work at all over an acrylic base.

Date: 03/04/13 02:27
Author: brfriedm

Kleins has your paint in stock.

http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Polly-Scale-SP-Lark-Dark-Gray-Paint-1-oz-p/tes-414182.htm

Bruce

PhillipJohnson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have a brass business car I'm trying to paint
> into SP Lark colors. I normally use Polly Scale
> paint on top of Tamiya gray primer. However SP
> Lark Light Gray is not available from PollyScale
> (weird as it is from sister company Floquil). I
> found on Tru-Color's website that they have the SP
> Lark Light Gray and Dark Gray as well as the Dark
> Olive SP used on heavyweight cars. Before buying
> any of this paint I'm curious if anyone knows how
> compatible it is with Polly Scale products like
> Satin/Flat finish. Tru-Color claims to dry high
> gloss for decaling, but I will want to dull it
> down afterwards.
>
> Thanks!

Date: 03/04/13 04:49
Author: Lighter

PhillipJohnson Wrote:
> I normally use Polly Scale
> paint on top of Tamiya gray primer. However SP
> Lark Light Gray is not available from PollyScale

Modelflex Lark Light Gray will be the most compatible. You could even intermix the two brands. HOWEVER, the colors do not necessarily match between brands. In other words, you probably should also use Modelflex Lark Dark Gray.

Date: 03/04/13 09:13
Author: GCRY_4960

I have used Pollyscale and tru-color paints on the same model with no problems at all.

Date: 03/04/13 12:42
Author: bioyans

GCRY_4960 Wrote:
> I have used Pollyscale and tru-color paints on the
> same model with no problems at all.

I think the biggest potential for problem would be in spraying Tru Color over Polly Scale. Putting a water based acrylic over a fully cured solvent paint carries almost no risk.

Since the OP needs Tru Color for the lighter color, using a standard transistion of color applications from lightest to darkest should yield little difficulty. Just give the Tru Color enough time to fully cure (basically when there is no longer a paint fume from the model), and it should work fine.

If you are using Polly Scale just for the flat finish, you should have no problems at all. I've used it overy many different types of paint with no problems. One word of caution, however ... it is my understanding it may have been reformulated, and you may want to test it on a scrap body shell painted with Tru Color to see if the final result is to your liking.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/13 06:20 by bioyans.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0663 seconds