Home Open Account Help 328 users online

Model Railroading > Tru-Color Paints

Date: 03/14/13 09:43
Tru-Color Paints
Author: kecarden

I just recently purchased a bottle of Tru-Color Conrail paint. First of all I just want to say their paints are excellent to work with. Tell me if I wrong but the Conrail paint in the tru-color line seems to be a little to light. When I compare it with the latest Athearn unit or a Atlas unit it don't even come close to the blues from the different mfg. I know in real life if it factory painted by GE or EMD or repaints by the shops there difference in shades but this blue is real light. Now the new Floquil Conrail blue is very close to the new Atlas GP40-2 units.

So I guess the question is, Is the Tru-Color close to the actually blue of Conrail?

Thanks

Date: 03/14/13 10:51
Re: Tru-Color Paints
Author: bioyans

Kinda tough to tell from the lighting in your photo, but it doesn't look overly light. Most model paints are lighter, because layout lighting doesn't replicate the strength of sunlight.

If you used actual Conrail blue on your model, it would likely look too dark to your eye.

Date: 03/14/13 11:52
Author: kecarden

The painted model that you see in the picture is not the Tru-Color Paint believed me it lighter then the color on the model

Date: 03/14/13 12:32
Author: brfriedm

So the real picture is in true daylight, the 2nd picture of the model is using a flash indoors which is the worst scenario you can use. Take the model outdoors on a nice day and shoot it and then post the pictures for input.

Bruce

Date: 03/14/13 12:52
Author: bioyans

brfriedm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So the real picture is in true daylight, the 2nd
> picture of the model is using a flash indoors
> which is the worst scenario you can use. Take the
> model outdoors on a nice day and shoot it and then
> post the pictures for input.
>
> Bruce

The model in the picture also isn't painted with Tru-Color ... so the picture is of no real value.

To the original poster ... do you have a scrap body shell you can spray with the Tru-Color version? Being able to see the color in question would aid in offering some help.

Date: 03/14/13 13:09
Author: grahamline

Comparing to painted models isn't going to tell you if the paint in the bottle matches Conrail blue. For that you need a variety of photographs or a look at something still in circulation painted Conrail blue.

Date: 03/14/13 15:31
Author: andrewcastle

I picked up a bottle of Tru Color Conrail blue about eight months ago to paint a couple of models, I got one of the models painted and was not impressed at all. I found it too light and not the shade of blue I was expecting. Luckily Tru Color goes on nice and thin so I was able to paint over it with a coat of proper Conrail blue from another manufacturer.

Andrew C

Date: 03/14/13 17:20
Author: Dilworth

USE SCALECOAT CR BLUE PERFECT

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0572 seconds