Home Open Account Help 203 users online

Model Railroading > Walthers HO Super Chief announcement

Date: 05/21/13 11:17
Walthers HO Super Chief announcement
Author: Fizzboy7

Just got word they are planning an eight car offering with newer metal/stainless sides- lighted or non-lighted. Also, matching Proto F3's in "long bonnet" to go with it all.
The bank is officially broken.

Date: 05/21/13 11:37
Re: Walthers HO Super Chief announcement
Author: bnsfsd70

Sounds like I'll be picking up a new diner for the BNSF "Fred Harvey."

- Jeff Carlson

Date: 05/21/13 13:49
Author: kestrel

Didn't they just do a set of Super Chief cars that were plated to match the new Bi-Level cars?

Or am I just imagining things??

V

Date: 05/21/13 14:08
Author: SPDRGWfan

There has been much discussion about the plating. I don't own any but seeing the online photo's, the 2nd run Super Chief has a much more mirror finish vs the Ex Capitan bi-levels much more muted finish.

Date: 05/21/13 14:21
Author: Amtrak562

The Metal Super Chief came out a few short years ago, but the El Cap last year was a big step forward for Walthers because they offered Deluxe Editions. Now I don't think there will be Deluxe Editions of the Super Chief but the big difference is that most of the cars with be available w/interior lighting for $10 more.

Date: 05/21/13 18:18
Author: santafedan

Be sure to be ready to change the wheels.

Date: 05/21/13 20:57
Author: ATSF3751

Great. I'll be able to get a Regal Pullman without paying the exorbitant prices on EBAY. Some cars have sold in the $120+ range. The diners and 10-6 also. Maybe it's time for Walthers to reissue the CITY trains dome coaches and regular flat top coaches in original UP markings. Forgetabout this excursion train nonsense.

Date: 05/22/13 06:42
Author: kestrel

Okay, I'll admit that even though I have the "original" Super Chief series Walthers released, I'll probably get these as well and convert my other cars as stand-ins for other railroad's trains. However, I see that they are not doing the "Palm" series cars. If I were modeling the 1955 period wouldn't I see Palm, Pine, and Regal series sleepers on the train?

Thanks!
Vince Smith
Aransas Pass, TX

Date: 05/22/13 18:33

kestrel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Okay, I'll admit that even though I have the
> "original" Super Chief series Walthers released,
> I'll probably get these as well and convert my
> other cars as stand-ins for other railroad's
> trains. However, I see that they are not doing
> the "Palm" series cars. If I were modeling the
> 1955 period wouldn't I see Palm, Pine, and Regal
> series sleepers on the train?
>
>
> Thanks!
> Vince Smith
> Aransas Pass, TX

Does seem unlikly to have a train without Palm or Regal. If you have the original set, you should have a Pine series, as well as a prewar 4-4-2 which continued in service until the late 1960's. Many, if not most, of the prewar 4-4-2 cars had their skirting removed and some even received CUDO outside swinghanger trucks.

You could get brass car sides or Union Station Products sides and create your own. Or buy a regular brass car. With some work, some of the older Soho cars can be brought up to a reasonable model.

I think another valuable addition to any Santa Fe train would be one of the Blue series Pullmans as well.

There is a lot that Walthers could do to get more mileage out of their Super Chief stock. With the addition of a prewar Budd diner, Lunch Counter Diner, and a PS postwar chair car, they could offer the Chief, SF Chief, and Texas Chief. They already have the 46 seat Budd chair car. Add Hi-Level cars and they could offer the 1964 El Capitan and Texas Chief. I'm willing to bet there is a lot of demand for these cars.

Date: 05/23/13 05:55
Author: UPJeff

It appears that the San Francisco Chief may be announced at the NTS in Atlanta. I hoping for an LCD, a true Santa Fe diner, Full Dome, and would like to see a Palm or Blue sleeper.

Jeff Smith
Lakewood, CA
RailMaster Hobbies

Date: 05/23/13 09:53

UPJeff Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It appears that the San Francisco Chief may be
> announced at the NTS in Atlanta. I hoping for an
> LCD, a true Santa Fe diner, Full Dome, and would
> like to see a Palm or Blue sleeper.

That would really good. Finally. They would have to do a LCD, Budd diner, and Full Dome to be accurate. I will bet Walthers will do it right.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0538 seconds