Home Open Account Help 245 users online

Model Railroading > Rolling stock wheels

Date: 06/12/13 12:35
Rolling stock wheels
Author: buckeyestation

I'm not sure about which wheel sets go on rolling stock, such as boxcars, tank cars, etc.(finned back or flat)) Can anyone help. I've been away from the layout for awhile due to my wife's passing. I am working on a 5 room HO layout at the transition period. Digitrax chief system, two levels.

Date: 06/12/13 13:24
Re: Rolling stock wheels
Author: hartrick24

I can't help on the wheels, i just replace with a IMRC wheel to the same size i take off. My main reason is to say i'm sorry
about the loss of your wife. Steve (up6553)

Date: 06/12/13 13:58
Author: therailnut

Sorry to hear about the loss of your wife.

It Depends on the time you model. If you model the modern time use the flat backside wheels. I think they started converting the ribbed back wheels to the flat backed wheels in the 1930's. I don't think they allowed them to be used in interchange service after 1940.

Date: 06/12/13 14:12
Author: tracktime

Most every freight car wheel wirh rare exception during the "transition" era were 33" wheels.

Peace to you,
Harry

Date: 06/12/13 16:14
Author: NCA1022

33" wheels for 50-ton and 70-ton cars. 36" wheels for 100-ton cars, which started appearing in quantity in the 1960's.

Generally, if you pay attention to the wheels you are removing, replacing like for like should work out fine.

- Norm

Date: 06/12/13 21:09
Author: fbe

You won't find any ribbed back wheels on any roller bearing trucks. These were superceeded with flat back wheels around WWI so think of them on cars with wooden sides unless you are talking about steel side heavy weight passenger cars.

On freight cars you could find some in service on company material cars into the late 1970s.

The rib backed wheels are pretty hard to see under boxcars and flat cars but they add a bit of interest under riveted tank cars and some hoppers.

Posted from Windows Phone OS 7

Date: 06/13/13 07:47
Author: Jesse6669

I've always wondered what the purpose of the spiral ribs were--Strengthen the wheel? Some sort help for cooling the journals?

Date: 06/13/13 08:24
Author: fbe

Jesse6669 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've always wondered what the purpose of the
> spiral ribs were--Strengthen the wheel? Some sort
> help for cooling the journals?

The wheels get really, really hot when the brake shoes are applied to the treads. The ribs would help dissipate that heat before it got to the hub. The hub to axle connection is a pressure connection, if the wheel gets too hot it expands and comes loose. Then you have a derailment.

Posted from Windows Phone OS 7

Date: 06/13/13 11:18
Author: retcsxcfm

Jesse6669 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've always wondered what the purpose of the
> spiral ribs were--Strengthen the wheel? Some sort
> help for cooling the journals?

Rib backed wheels were cast iron and flat back are steel.
Cast iron breaks easily.

Uncle Joe,Seffner,fl.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0426 seconds