Home Open Account Help 329 users online

Model Railroading > New BLMA Announcement - ATSF Bx-166 Box Car!

Date: 07/18/13 21:13
New BLMA Announcement - ATSF Bx-166 Box Car!
Author: CraigM111

Hi Everyone!

We're pleased to announce our latest freight car in HO & N Scale - the ATSF-built, Bx-166, 62' Double Door Box Car. Coming in 24 unique numbers (12 each of two scheme variations), these big 'beer cars' can be seen virtually all over North America, and have been running 300 strong since 1974. Order now through your favorite dealer or direct!

See more information at: http://www.blmamodels.com/blog

Thanks for looking!

Craig Martyn
BLMA Models
http://www.blmamodels.com

Date: 07/18/13 21:27
Re: New BLMA Announcement - ATSF Bx-166 Box Car!
Author: toledopatch

1) What's the list price for these?

2) Is a future run with the original Santa Fe decorations planned? (I presume others are interested in BNSF cars, too.)

Date: 07/18/13 21:30
Author: CraigM111

1. List price (dependent on scale) is listed on our website, along with a ton of other information: http://www.blmamodels.com

2. We plan to cover all paint schemes/variations in future runs.

All the best,

Craig Martyn
BLMA Models

Date: 07/18/13 21:50
Author: funnelfan

I wonder how much of a gamble you might be taking by not producing the large logo cars to start with? Seems many will simply wait until the large logo cars come in a future run, and that in turn will cause this car to appear to be a slow seller. Any shops that cannot move cars from the first run won't be as likely to buy much of a future run. I know many manufactures do some variation of this gamble, and sometimes they lose with non-selling merchandise. I see how they offer a mix of less-desirable and more-desirable cars in each run, instead of "shooting their wad" with all the popular schemes in a early run and then having a second run that doesn't sell at all because it's all less-desirable schemes. But have all less-desirable schemes in the first run is a tactic I've seen fail many times, some to the point that a second run of desirable schemes never comes, or is long delayed.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 07/18/13 21:52
Author: MrMRL

Cool... I thought I'd seen these cars before. Looking back at my freight car photos, sure 'nuff, I photographed one in La Mirada, CA on October 11, 2009...

Mr. MRL

Date: 07/18/13 21:59
Author: funnelfan

Apparently they made both single and double door versions

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 07/18/13 22:20
Author: SPDRGWfan

funnelfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I wonder how much of a gamble you might be taking
> by not producing the large logo cars to start
> with? Seems many will simply wait until the large
> logo cars come in a future run, and that in turn
> will cause this car to appear to be a slow seller.
> Any shops that cannot move cars from the first run
> won't be as likely to buy much of a future run. I
> know many manufactures do some variation of this
> gamble, and sometimes they lose with non-selling
> merchandise. I see how they offer a mix of
> less-desirable and more-desirable cars in each
> run, instead of "shooting their wad" with all the
> popular schemes in a early run and then having a
> second run that doesn't sell at all because it's
> all less-desirable schemes. But have all
> less-desirable schemes in the first run is a
> tactic I've seen fail many times, some to the
> point that a second run of desirable schemes never
> comes, or is long delayed.

I think you have a good point. The pattern I have noticed is that BLMA tends to go for the more "modern" stuff first and the backfill with older paint schemes. They did that with the F89F flat car, offering TTX first, then the original brown and lastly the middle Trailer Train version - which is the 70's and 80's scheme. I still don't think it has shipped yet and that is the scheme I want the most.

I guess like any company, those who run BLMA seem to have a bias. It just so happens BLMAs is modern so what they produce first will fit that bias and then we older codgers may get lucky and have something that fits the 80's. I would be interested in a large logo ATSF box car, and that is where my money will be spent. The plain jain modern are of no interest to me. I'll be waiting and hoping ... until then ....

Cheers, Jim Fitch

Date: 07/18/13 23:51
Author: BN_FAN

...and ATSF sold 60 of the single door cars to BN (nos. 734225-734284), these were in the reporting marks only scheme with non-standard fonts.

Still waiting for the long-rumored BLMA Portec 3000!

funnelfan Wrote:
> Apparently they made both single and double door
> versions

Date: 07/19/13 01:05
Author: tracktime

Very nifty car! Finally, a "modern" ATSF homebuilt car in plastic! I'll be looking forward to the as-delivered scheme, or heck.. I just might take a car or two from this first run for a swim in 91% alcohol.

Cheers,
Harry

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/13 01:18 by tracktime.

Date: 07/19/13 04:11
Author: SantaFeSammy

Woof!

Great release!
I'll be fine with a hand full of these cars in any ATSF scheme!
Time to model the H-MOSR "Wine Train"!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/13 04:14 by SantaFeSammy.

Date: 07/19/13 05:40

CraigM111 Wrote:
> 1. List price (dependent on scale) is listed on
> our website, along with a ton of other
> information: http://www.blmamodels.com

OK, I had gone there. I went back and found the price (HO - $39.95) by clicking "Select Road Number" as if I were starting the ordering process. It could be a little more obvious than that.

Date: 07/19/13 05:45
Author: wictl

Any thoughts on doing the BNSF painted cars.

Darin Umlauft
A WC, SOO and GBW fan in Slinger, WI

Date: 07/19/13 05:47
Author: brfriedm

List Prices

Single $39.95
6 Pack $239.70 ($39.95 per car, no price break)
12 Pack $479.40 ($39.95 per car, no price break)
24 pack $958.80 ($39.95 per car, no price break)

Multi packs should have a price break IMHO.

Bruce

Date: 07/19/13 05:50

wictl Wrote:
> Any thoughts on doing the BNSF painted cars.
>

Well, Craig's response to me was that they anticipate covering all paint schemes, so I'd say the response to you is "Yes."

For this first run, is there a way to find out what date stencils have been applied to the car (repaint date, brake tests, etc.)? I might buy a couple if I knew a particular car was correct for 1990. Otherwise, I may be among those waiting for the "original Santa Fe" version. The plan is to mix some of these with the ExactRail PC&F cars I already have.

P.S. I would think the promotional material would mention that besides beer, a major cargo for these cars is California wine. Doesn't that account for most of the boxcar traffic on the famous Modesto-Streator train? It could also mention a couple of backhauls that I believe both styles of "beer boxes" handled: cold cream from Chesebrough-Ponds in Clinton, Conn., and processed cherries from Traverse City, Mich.

Date: 07/19/13 08:03
Author: bioyans

Actually ... the late Santa Fe version may be the more desirable car. Not a whole lot of the original scheme made it to the end of ATSF ... but the late scheme covers not only late Santa Fe, but even up to present day (since I still see a good number of them still with ATSF reporting marks). While they may be disappearing into BNSF colors, the late Santa Fe covers the longer appearance range.

Posted from Android

Date: 07/19/13 08:40
Author: chrisbutts

Yes, don't forget about Modesto's finest wine! Maybe for the next release they can throw in a free brown paper bag.

Date: 07/19/13 10:17
Author: markgiesecke

I love that BLMA is coming out with modern equipment since that's what I run, but how about actually making these products. I've had the pipe flats on preorder since they were announced and they keep getting delayed with no explanation. I'm done showing my support by preordering products that I have to wait 2 years to receive. If I wanted this kinda of service I would go back to Athearn. I guess I will just support my LHS and take the risk of not getting the cars I want and need for my layout.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/19/13 16:02
Author: sd39u

Craig...all I gotta say is...EPIC!!! I think Sammy and I need to split a 2 dozen pack!

Eric

Date: 07/20/13 10:15
Author: TCnR

Another vote for the classic red with the big emblem, just that era thing.

Also noted 'markgieseck'e comments, if all my pre-orders hit in the same month or two I'm in big trouble. I'm hesitant to order more products without knowing what's going to hit the fan.

*It may be that rotating through the 'era's for model production may be of some benefit. That would give us a breather and let us recover from the last batch of great products.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/13 09:04 by TCnR.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0891 seconds