Home Open Account Help 361 users online

Model Railroading > No steam at Atlanta?

Date: 07/20/13 12:34
No steam at Atlanta?
Author: Finderskeepers

All I've read about is GEVO this and diesel that...wasn't there any steam announced?

Posted from Android

Date: 07/20/13 13:26
Re: No steam at Atlanta?
Author: Tony_Cook

Only new steam I saw a DCC-equipped 0-6-0 Porter Side Tank coming from Bachmann in HO-scale. I'll have pics to post this weekend of it.

Tony Cook, editor
Model Railroad News
http://www.modelrailroadnews.com

Date: 07/20/13 13:58
Author: Finderskeepers

Thanks for the update Tony, my dreams of a plastic SP 2-8-0 will wait for another year I guess.

Posted from Android

Date: 07/20/13 15:19
Author: tracktime

Well, there are a couple of different steam generator arrangements on that new Genesis SDP45! J/k!

Cheers,
Harry

Date: 07/21/13 11:27
Author: bnsfsd70

Honestly, I'd guess that its mainly a demographics thing. If you consider that the fires generally dropped in the US (+/- a few) around 1950, to be alive and aware of steam's existence, you'd have to have been born around 1945 or before. Considering most people 68+ years old are now on fixed incomes, I wonder how much steam you will see moving forward from the major plastic manufacturers. Outside of the occasional "cool" engines like Big Boys or something with mass modern appeal such as the 4449 or 261, I'd guess that steam's days are numbered in model form as well.

Just look at the major announcements at the show, the SDP45, the C430, and the modern GE's and EMD's, and you can easily see where the manufacturers are putting their limited resources.

- Jeff Carlson

Date: 07/21/13 12:05
Author: Tony_Cook

Hornby America has a new Rivarossi 0-6-0 coming. The American release will include different non-bumper pilots and with have knuckle couplers. The prototype was built for the Army to use in Europe during WWII. Examples were also found in the U.S. following WWII. Will have more info posted to Model Railroad News' website soon.

Thanks,

Tony Cook, editor
Model Railroad News
http://www.modelrailroadnews.com/

Date: 07/23/13 15:58
Author: Sasquatch

That's a cutie, Tony; might have a need for something like that around my dockyard.

By the way, many thanks for your fine reporting from shows and such, and in MRN; I always appreciate it.

-Tom

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0438 seconds