Home Open Account Help 303 users online

Model Railroading > Boy's Life HO Scale Train Layout 1958 Part III

Date: 08/11/13 17:48
Boy's Life HO Scale Train Layout 1958 Part III
Author: miralomarail

Starting Dec of 1958 , Boy's Life Magazine started a Article called " HO Model Railroad You Can Build " , in the Months to follow,the Author " Glenn Wagner " shows the Readers how to build the Loop to Loop Layout, Bridges and Buildings , simple Landscaping ,Wiring and a add on Drop Leaf Yard

At first sight , its a interesting layout, but the Devil is in the Details

It uses no less then 15 pcs of 15 Radius Snap Track, and it requires No Cork Roadbed

Starting in Dec 1958 Page 68, is the Track Plan ,April 59 Page 61 Making Roads,
June 59 Page 72 Making a Tunnel Portal
Sept 59 Page 75 Wiring
Nov 59 Page 75 Timber Trestle 15 Radius
Dec 59 Page 78 Cattle Pen
Oct 60 Page 65 Building the Mountain
Nov 60 Ballast Tracks
Feb 61 Scenery
March61 Page 67 Making Rivers
April61 Page 63 Plate Girder Bridge
May 61 Page 79 Concrete Loading Platform
Nov 61 Page 34 Drop-Leaf Train Yard
Dec 61 Page 61 Wiring the Drop Leaf Yard

Most of the Building's used on the Layout were Simple Paper , Sharp Eye's can Spot Revell or Atlas HO Scale Kits of the Era

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/13 17:50 by miralomarail.

Date: 08/11/13 18:39
Re: Boy's Life HO Scale Train Layout 1958 Part III
Author: dcmkris

I wonder how many got into model railroading from an introduction like this?

I was lucky enough to have my grandfathers HO scale loop to loop with 15 track stub end yards on each end and his O gauge layout as an introduction.
Then when I went home I had my dads model railroad which was much more of a Model railroader layout than my grandfathers to introduce me to the hobby.

It was my grandfathers L&N & Milwaukee Road trains that hooked me though, as to this day 30+ years later I love these roads & model them even though
I never grew up near either one.

Kris

Date: 08/11/13 22:25
Re: Boy's Life HO Scale Train Layout 1958 Part III
Author: shortshep

I for one got into model railroading because of a Boy's Life article. The one the compelled me was the ones published in the early '70's. I don't know how long the tradition lasted as I know the magazine faded away, but I have met several others over the years that were also inspired to take up our hobby by that magazine.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0288 seconds