Home Open Account Help 299 users online

Model Railroading > DC control systems

Date: 08/18/13 21:00
DC control systems
Author: sandpatch25

Is DC still the majority of what model railroaders use for their control systems?

As for me, DCC sounds very complicated and can be hard to use, according to many of the responses I have received so far. I have never looked into it and seriously considered it to my layout. I have used N scale Kato track and switches on my layout for twenty years now. Kato's switches enable the ability to run multiple trains (on multiple tracks), because they have frogs that cut-off what ever direction's power is not lined for trains to utilize. This lets me have three trains run independently, regardless to their speed, direction, etc., and that's good enough for me.

Matthew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/13 09:11 by sandpatch25.

Date: 08/18/13 22:29
Re: DC control systems
Author: barrydraper

Hard to say. I'm in Southern California, I do 100% DCC and of other modelers that I personally know over 90% have gone DCC. But that's like the tests on MythBusters, you can't do useful science with a sample size of one!

Barry Draper (maybe if enough members respond we could get an idea of the Trainorders breakdown)

Date: 08/18/13 23:03
Author: octrax

I used DC on my 2-wired track / blocked layout. I used the "old school" 3-cab (MRC power packs) system, with each block connected to the 3 cabs (power packs), selecting 1 cab to control a specific block. My layout is now "history".

Presently, I have a static layout on my "L" shaped desk where I have my BLI "California Zephyr" 11-car set with Athearn's Genesis Santa Fe Passenger Warbonnet F-7 ABBA units at the point. I have my previous MRC power packs: 1 to power the headlights of my ATSF F7's, and the other to power the interior lights of my CZ consist. No running for now, however I could expand this static layout into a running layout at a later date. For now, it's a nice way to show off my CZ display to my friends.

DC vs. DCC: It will depend on the owner's application. In my case, DC-a.k.a. MRC #9000/9500 Power Packs do just fine for illumination purposes only.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/13 23:12 by octrax.

Date: 08/18/13 23:18
Author: sandpatch25

barrydraper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hard to say. I'm in Southern California, I do
> 100% DCC and of other modelers that I personally
> know over 90% have gone DCC. But that's like the
> tests on MythBusters, you can't do useful science
> with a sample size of one!
>
> Barry Draper (maybe if enough members respond we
> could get an idea of the Trainorders breakdown)

Interesting. On the one hand, it's good to keep up with current up-to-date technology. On the other hand, if your layout and the way you use it doesn't have any reason to have it (like mine), there is really no purpose to spend the extra buck$$$.

IN CONTRAST:

Compare this to the upgrade from VHS to DVD, being one of the biggest and best revolutions in history.

Date: 08/18/13 23:21
Author: wlindsays

My last 6 locomotive buys are DCC.
I run them on the Highland Pacific MRC.
I'll convert 2 AC4400 DCC Ready Atherns soon and continue conversion.
I like the DCC control but I turn off sound.
Lindsay

Date: 08/18/13 23:36
Author: up421

My current, under construction, layout is DCC.

I use DC for a test track for new locomotives and when doing locomotive maintenance (loco testing, cleaning wheels, lubing etc).

Date: 08/19/13 02:30
Author: calsubd

My present layout under construction has 4 tracks, 3 DCC and 1 DC, my plan is to expand the DC for a yard and interchange,,I have 3 DCC locos and 20 DC locos , I am thinking of a yard with DC entry on 1 end and DCC on the other, this way both can back in or a East yard, West yard set up, still debating upstairs !, Ed

Date: 08/19/13 06:05
Author: santafedan

My 35 by 15 HO finished layout-DC. My contact with my club and all of the members except one other is DCC. I am also involved in either building or working on 6 others-DCC. They are all rather newish and therefore don't have the problem of equipping 60 locomotives. Some are rather old, too.
Still, I am happy with my DC set up. None of those pesky "beeps."

Date: 08/19/13 06:17
Author: Mopac3240

We use DC on the Gulf Western Modular just for ease of function. But, during shows, we are not "operating" we are just running long trains for the crowds to see. And only one train at a time on each main. We could do dcc but just literally plugging in a system to the bus wires, but it just adds a level of complication that we feel unnecessary.

I also used straight Dc on my home layout. Block control with rotary switches. But, it was already in place from when I built the layout prior to reliable dcc systems being widely available or cost effective. I am putting some thought lately into dcc for my next layout because I like the sound and lighting effects that can be accomplished. But I have a lot of non dcc locomotives and would be pricey for me to change over

Chris

Date: 08/19/13 07:55
Author: aehouse

I've compromised. My larger (of two) model railroads is DC, and as it works just fine, will remain so. I've built a second layout, essentially an elongated switching pike, so as to use DCC, primarily for the superb sound effects available.

As I've operated on a number of other DCC layouts, I've come away with the impression that DCC technology is not yet perfected, and that the various generations of decoders and control systems have many mysteries and issues that cause problems to even the most experienced users. And, as JMRI and other computer programs come on line, the potential for difficulties (as well as resolutions) seems to increase exponentially. Of the DCC layouts I've operated on, those with MRC, Easy DCC, NCE and Lenz (Atlas) seem to work with a minimum of difficulty, where those using Digitrax have all sorts of difficulties that are often all but impossible to diagnose and resolve. Just this past week, I attended an operating session on a Digitrax-equipped layout that was troubled with control problems with all of the several radio-control throttles being used (the one tethered throttle's response was faultless). All of the half dozen or so operators (other than yours truly) were experienced and knowledgeable Digitrax guys, and the layout owner had JMRI up and running as a diagnostic tool. But all the kings horses and all the kings men were unable to completely resolve the control issues. And their conversations about potential resolutions sounded like a group of experimental physicists debating string theory.

My own experience with DCC on my smaller layout has been mixed. I had to send both the command unit and one of two cabs back to the manufacturer (MRC) for problems when they were new. Both were returned in fine working order. But a pricey locomotive from a major manufacturer continues to give me fits, stalling at places on good track where no other engine has difficulties.

Meanwhile, the old DC layout and all of its locomotives run like a Swiss Watch.

My conclusion: DCC is a powerful tool and has remade model railroading in many positive ways. But it has also added layers and layers of complexity and difficulties which--over time--I hope will be worked out. But thus far, increasing levels of sophistication seem often to add increasing potential for problems and mysteries. It's a far cry from the: "hook up two wires and run......" promises made when the technology was new.

Art House

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/13 08:00 by aehouse.

Date: 08/19/13 09:05
Author: WP282

swsf Wrote:
> santafedan Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > None of those pesky "beeps."
>
> Not sure what you are referring to. Please
> explain.
>
> I have been using DCC since the mid 90s when it
> first came out (replacing an OnBoard analog
> command control system I used for about a decade)
> and have never had a "beep" problem. I started
> with SystemOne and added NCE components when Jim
> Scorse began selling the DCC systems he designed
> instead of manufacturing them for other people.
> All of my original SystemOne equipment is still in
> use, with NCE components being added as I expanded
> my 48' x 32' double deck layout. I currently have
> five power boosters in use, four of them for over
> 15 years, a mix of 17 SystemOne and NCE wireless
> throttles purchased over the years, and about 140
> locos, almost all of them with NCE decoders.
> Everything works flawlessly - just ask any of the
> 18 operators at my monthly op sessions and they
> will confirm this. No "beeps".

I just operated at the above mentioned layout and can report that the system performed flawlessly. The operators on the other hand...;-)

Mike

Date: 08/19/13 09:05
Author: DHarrison

My 25 X 35 home layout models Union Pacific and uses Digitrax DCC. The wiring was upgraded to 14 gauge, but the original DC toggling is still in. The layout retains a DC operation powered by risto Trainmaster, by entirely using toggles . The Acela/NEC Portable Layout borrows the home DCC. The $3.5 million dollar Great Train Story at MSI-Chicago uses DC exclusively. The three main tracks are divided into thirty power sections each controlled by a custom built DC controller. The newer controllers use a MRC power pack. There is never a need for DCC on this 60 X 90 layout, a fact that upsets many modelers who visit. But the truth is....we don't do anything with the trains....they just run and run in a circuit, day after day, week after week.

David Harrison

Date: 08/19/13 09:13
Author: TCnR

Write in vote for Rail-Lynx.
Optical sensor on modified DCC boards, no complex power supply.

Date: 08/19/13 11:04
Author: cota1992

We use DCC on the Museum layout I volunteer at and at my friends basement layout. If I'm just messing about here at the house I have a DC power pack I use with the snap track.
I plan on installing DCC on the 2 locomotives that fit my friend's layout time frame, but the others will stay DC for the moment, but might be upgraded at a later time if the need comes up.

Art Reid
Brunswick, MD
Art's Photo Squirrel Flickr pages

Date: 08/19/13 12:23
Author: santafedan

swsf Wrote:
> santafedan Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > None of those pesky "beeps."

It is those "beeps" when someone runs thru a turnout. Ot the "beep" codes for shorts. Counting the "beeps" when you turn it on to diagnose what ever it is trying to tell you.
Worse yet is the mysterious shut downs. My club operates monthly on a large double deck layout. We can have 6 or more operators going at one time, with several sound units, and the system shuts down. The layout has 4 districts and boosters.
( I also operate on an NCE layout with no problems with about the same number of trains/operators and he has all sound units.)

>
> Not sure what you are referring to. Please
> explain.
>
> I have been using DCC since the mid 90s when it
> first came out (replacing an OnBoard analog
> command control system I used for about a decade)
> and have never had a "beep" problem. I started
> with SystemOne and added NCE components when Jim
> Scorse began selling the DCC systems he designed
> instead of manufacturing them for other people.
> All of my original SystemOne equipment is still in
> use, with NCE components being added as I expanded
> my 48' x 32' double deck layout. I currently have
> five power boosters in use, four of them for over
> 15 years, a mix of 17 SystemOne and NCE wireless
> throttles purchased over the years, and about 140
> locos, almost all of them with NCE decoders.
> Everything works flawlessly - just ask any of the
> 18 operators at my monthly op sessions and they
> will confirm this. No "beeps".

Date: 08/19/13 13:23
Author: brfriedm

Just so you know, SWSF is a NCE employee which is why he constantly attacks Digitrax. Dude, give it a rest and do your job at NCE. No need to attack the competition! It's unprofessional.

Bruce

swsf Wrote:
> santafedan Wrote:
> >
> > It is those "beeps" when someone runs thru a
> > turnout. Ot the "beep" codes for shorts.
> > Counting the "beeps" when you turn it on to
> > diagnose what ever it is trying to tell you.
> > Worse yet is the mysterious shut downs. My
> club
> > operates monthly on a large double deck layout.
>
> > We can have 6 or more operators going at one
> time,
> > with several sound units, and the system shuts
> > down. The layout has 4 districts and boosters.
> > ( I also operate on an NCE layout with no
> problems
> > with about the same number of trains/operators
> and
> > he has all sound units.)
>
> OK, I get it - it's a Digitrax layout. Your last
> sentence says it all.

Date: 08/20/13 19:38
Author: Big_Blue_mac_attack

I laugh at all the people who have troubles with digitrax products!! Because I will 99% guarantee its a problem of there own doing!! But what do I know only 15+ years without as little as a hiccup! !

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0907 seconds