Home Open Account Help 323 users online

Model Railroading > Spline roadbed

Date: 09/01/13 17:00
Spline roadbed
Author: rschonfelder

I am just wondering if anyone who has constructed a layout or module using spline roadbed can tell me what width they use? Also, is it better to use pine, thin plywood or Masonite?

IIRC, I watched one of the Joe Fugates video and he used Masonite splines to create a new siding on one of his scenes.

My final question surrounds whether I should laminate the splines or just use spacers created from some fine mouldings. For a single track, I would think that layers of spline would be strongest.

Thanks,

rick

Date: 09/01/13 17:28
Re: Spline roadbed
Author: rschonfelder

Thanks for posting the photos. It looks like you are using Masonite splines in one and then it seems to be MDF splines in the other. You clearly are putting spacers in there. What is the base that you use on top of the spline bed? Also, what is the width of them?

When I lived in Canada, we used Upsom board for the base but I am not sure we can get that here in Australia.

Rick

Date: 09/01/13 19:24
Re: Spline roadbed
Author: TCnR

I know of two masonite spline projects, both very well regarded. The first used simple hot glue in bulk paks with very strong clamps.

The more recent project has a layer of plywood or similar laminated to the masonite. The wood then had slots cut across it to allow curves, so the masonite essentially has a wood spacer laminated to it. Don't remember if the final sub-roadbed is attached to risers with glue or screws, or both.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/13 23:19 by TCnR.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0394 seconds