Home Open Account Help 199 users online

Model Railroading > Genesis SP GP38-2 for really good price

Date: 09/30/13 18:48
Genesis SP GP38-2 for really good price
Author: Chad

I was looking on eBay not for anything really just looking. I found a dealer on eBay offering a Genesis SP GP38-2 with sound, NEW for 159.95 plus 11.95 USPS priority shipping. That's pretty cheap. He has very good feedback with over 140,000 feedbacks left. I hate not to buy from my LHS but wow that is a good price. I guess he is over stocked on these and being in NY maybe his usual customers do not buy Western roads. We will see how this all goes.

Date: 09/30/13 20:35
Re: Genesis SP GP38-2 for really good price
Author: EL-SD45-3632

It must have sold, I saw one for $197 and several non sound units for $149 and up.

Date: 09/30/13 21:04
Author: Chad

He had two road numbers and I bought one of them.

Date: 10/01/13 06:22
Author: HB90MACH

EBay still has good deals if you know. I recently found a rsd15 bli with dcc and sound for 100 and rs27 with dcc sound for 83. Both brand new never opened. Amazingly no bids on them either which floored me. EBay still has good hiden deals.

Posted from Android

Date: 10/01/13 10:03
Author: rsanchez

HB90MACH Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> EBay still has good deals if you know. I
> recently found a rsd15 bli with dcc and sound for
> 100 and rs27 with dcc sound for 83. Both brand
> new never opened. Amazingly no bids on them
> either which floored me. EBay still has good
> hiden deals.
>
> Posted from Android

The problem is most people do not have the discipline to wait a bit. They prefer the instant gratification of right now and price/deal is secondary.

Date: 10/01/13 13:30
Author: brfriedm

I'm seeing allot of Genesis inventory out there that is not selling. Klein's has a boat load. I am also seeing allot of deals being offered below dealer cost by folks.

Athearn needs to watch this closely as this will eventually catch up to them. Too many releases too close together.

Bruce

Date: 10/02/13 04:13
Author: calsubd

brfriedm Wrote:
> I'm seeing allot of Genesis inventory out there
> that is not selling. Klein's has a boat load. I am
> also seeing allot of deals being offered below
> dealer cost by folks.
>
> Athearn needs to watch this closely as this will
> eventually catch up to them. Too many releases too
> close together.
>
> Bruce
I've been looking for a GP 38-2 in Eastern paint, preferably Providence and Worcester, looked at the Athearn Ready to Roll but didn't want to overpaint a nice paint job, then I got the e-mail from Factory Direct Trains in N.C. offering a extra 10% off a P & W GP 38-2, needless to say its on the way,,,What Bruce said is true ATHEARN needs to realize NOT ALL OF US East of the Mississippi model Western railroads and that includes UP, WP, SP, and DRGW.

Ed Stewart
Jacksonville, FL

Date: 10/02/13 06:00
Author: toledopatch

calsubd Wrote:
> I've been looking for a GP 38-2 in Eastern
> paint, preferably Providence and Worcester, looked
> at the Athearn Ready to Roll but didn't want to
> overpaint a nice paint job, then I got the e-mail
> from Factory Direct Trains in N.C. offering a
> extra 10% off a P & W GP 38-2, needless to say its
> on the way,,,What Bruce said is true ATHEARN needs
> to realize NOT ALL OF US East of the Mississippi
> model Western railroads and that includes UP, WP,
> SP, and DRGW.

This is especially true in the case of smaller power like GP38-2s that rarely strayed from home rails, especially on the Western roads. Prototype or protolance modelers doing eastern subjects might pick up an SP tunnel motor or a B40-8 to represent run-through power, but if prototype-level accuracy concerns you, you're not likely to have an SP GP38-2 running around in (say) Pennsylvania. That doesn't mean some 'eastern' folks won't buy one or a few "just because", but it reduces the potential market's size in that area.

I bought four of the Genesis GP38-2s in undecorated, to paint (or have painted) in my 'home road' to work on locals along with other small four-axle power (U23B, B23-7). I've already got four other GP38-2s from other manufacturers in Conrail, plus old Blue Box GP38-2s in Norfolk Southern and Guilford with wrong numbers on them, so they probably will get stripped and repainted, or just sold. I suppose if Athearn does 'em in a CSX flavor, or NS high hood, I'll bite for one or two more, but that's about it.

Date: 10/02/13 15:07
Author: grahamline

Patch, am I correct in thinking that the undec Genny GP38-2 does not include the extended-range dynamic brake housing?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0449 seconds