Home Open Account Help 194 users online

Model Railroading > Living large down under

Date: 01/04/14 17:48
Living large down under
Author: DKay

Just took a hike over to the local live steamers setup not far from my house.These folks have achieved a lot in 30 years.Approx 2 mile of tracks ,and beautifully landscaped gardens.No steam running today due to the fire hazard.Location is Wagga,NSW,Aust.
Regards,DK

Date: 01/04/14 18:05
Re: Living large down under
Author: rschonfelder

I am amazed how many Live Steam stuff is around in South Eastern Australia. There is, at a guess, around 6 large setups in the Melbourne metro area and then you have clubs/layouts in these smaller regional centres of 50-80,000 people. I don't know how many in the Sydney area or other cities. There is some farmer from NSW with a beautiful Big Boy - you may find something on it on youtube.

I was really surprised to stumble on a small layout in Holbrook, NSW.

Rick

Date: 01/04/14 18:38
Author: WrongWayMurphy

Do you know what track gauge(s) are common down there?

Date: 01/04/14 18:57
Author: rschonfelder

ArgyleEagle Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Do you know what track gauge(s) are common down
> there?

Pretty much what you guys run on. I know of one individual who has bought his live steam from the USA and imported. One was an CPR 0-8-0 and another was a K-27.

A couple of people from Diamond Valley Railway moved some of their Aussie locos over to the USA and visited Train Mountain in Oregon plus maybe some others in the western USA. Rather expensive vacation if you ask me but to each, their own.

Here is a link to an album within the DVR which shows the immense size of the Big Boy. Apparently they are 7 1/4 inch.

http://www.dvr.com.au/gallery/galvalrees50.htm

If you through the DVR site, there is a page with links to other Live Steam sites around Oz plus the world. It might be worth a surf if you are interested.

Rick

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/14 19:05 by rschonfelder.

Date: 01/04/14 21:19

> I was really surprised to stumble on a small
> layout in Holbrook, NSW.
>
There is another in Corowa also.(just near the big bowling club)

Date: 01/04/14 21:40

ArgyleEagle Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Do you know what track gauge(s) are common down
> there?

Shane, The gauges are 5" and 7 1/4" .The rail is just solid steel ...looks to be 1/2in X 1in.
Regards,dK

Date: 01/05/14 10:18
Author: SD70ACe

I landed at Wagga Wagga Airport on my way to Tumut, should I had know about this I would make a stop to visit!!

Hope next time!!

Thanks for the pics!

Jorge Luna
Gardena, CA
Trains on dvd

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0487 seconds