Home Open Account Help 180 users online

Model Railroading > Rivarossi Allegheny opinions.

Date: 01/31/14 06:36
Rivarossi Allegheny opinions.
Author: AfroRon

I know they have been out awhile now, I've been offered one at what might be considered a decent price.

Anyways, those of you who have them what do you think of them? Good runners, pullers? Any concerns?

Date: 01/31/14 08:44
Re: Rivarossi Allegheny opinions.
Author: TheCurator

Can't speak about the Allegheny, but I own five of the 'Red Box' anniversary releases (Big Boy, Challenger, Mallet, Cab Forward and Heisler) and I've VERY pleased with their performance at ALL speeds. These were a re-design with the motor in the boiler instead of the older in-the-cab motors.

Date: 01/31/14 08:57
Author: lirrman

I own an Allegheny w/DCC and sound installed after the purchase. The only issue I had with it was having to remove the traction tires because they kept becoming misaligned with the treads of the wheels and jamming up the rods. There is probably a solution to that issue that doesn't include cutting off the tires. Other than that, it has been a reliable performer and at least 1/87th as impressive a machine as the real ones must have been. It's hard to imagine that there were ever 60 of them or watching (and feeling) one thunder past at 40 or 50mph on the head end of a coal train.

Good luck w/it. I'd make the buy if I was in your shoes.

Sully

Date: 01/31/14 23:48
Author: alaska

Maybe "Bullfrog Snot" will work better than the traction tires.

Hal

Date: 02/01/14 16:24
Author: HB90MACH

Depends on which version of the H8 you were offered. There is the limited run version from 2001. That one is when Rivarossi was it's own company. The version out now was released after the company was taken over. I have the the pre merger limited version. It runs good. For a big loco, it negotiates some tight curved areas well. Can not say about the post merger release.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0429 seconds